108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: reconfiguring the kernel

SOLVED
Go to solution
iamthestar
Advisor

reconfiguring the kernel

i am using redhat 9 and wish to reconfigure my kernel so that i can enable the sound, i ve gone through the kernel reconfiguration manual from redhat and did every thing, i got the message like unable to enter into directory /drivers/sound then i found something on internet and which said i need to create a sound directory in the drivers folder, i did that and am not getting that error but other errors are still there , i dont know how many folders i need to create, please reply, thank you.or tell me the easiest way to enable the sound in redhat, i checked with sndconfig its not working fine.
4 REPLIES 4
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You will have better sound support, unctionalities and less work to do if you upgrade your linux version.

Try installing Fedora Core 4. (If this will be a workstation, disable Security Enhanced Linux during installation).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
iamthestar
Advisor

thank you , i will try that. but i wish to learn how to reconfigure my kernel. please tell me.
Simeon Harwood
Regular Advisor
Solution

Hi Mudasir.
Here is how to rebuild the kernel on Red Hat Enterprise v3. should read accross OK.

Clean up kernel dir
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make clean
# make mrporper
# make oldconfig

Start up config windows or edit mode.
# make xconfig
OR
# make menuconfig
OR
edit ".config" manually ( I prefer this method, causes less errors)

Build kernel
# make dep
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install
# make install

if you see any errors during the build, you will need to clean up the source directory.

# make clean
# make mrproper

There is also a good README file in this directory that tells you all about it.

BTW make sure that you have got the kernel source RPM installed.

Sime.
You never had this problem with a pencil and paper!
iamthestar
Advisor

the last answer to my question is the correct answer