Operating System - Linux
1753797 Members
7348 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: red hat linux 9 on pavilion ze5375us

Jason Kraft_3

red hat linux 9 on pavilion ze5375us

I am having troubles installing redhat 9 on my ze5375us pavilion. During installation the computer freezes with this message "Loading ohci1394 driver". I tried installing Suse 8.1 as well and it freezes while attempting to discover 1394 controller/devices.
5 REPLIES 5
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

It's possible the problem really has nothing to do with the ohci1394. On earlier HPze series, it was necessary to disable legacy USB support in the bios and/or start the installation with the nousb parameter. Have you tried either of these things? For that matter have you tried starting with the nopcmcia parameter?

Bruce
Jason Kraft_3

Yes I tried disabling the Legacy USB Support bios setting. I also tried the nousb and nopcmcia options. On the debug screen the last
message that is displayed before freezing is

* modules to insert ieee1394 ohci1394
* loaded ieee1394 from /modules/modules.cgz
* loaded ohci1394 from /modules/modules.cgz
* inserted /tmp/ieee1394.o

and at that point everything freezes (including my keyboard) , and the only remedy is to hit the power button.

Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

That's really odd since I have the same 1394 hardware and no problems. HP must have screwed up something in the bios.

Anyway, try the nofirewire parameter. If you can install successfully, then maybe you can find a workaround afterward.

Bruce
Ryan_108

A long time after the post... I hope you were able to get around this. I had no problem with Slackware that I can remember, but Gentoo gave me a problem. There was an option like "nohotplug" that I used along with disabling fireware and usb. After installation I had no problem. Then again, when I rebuilt the kernel I had all 1394 build as modules that I haven't tried loading yet.
Anthony Carathimas

I got Mandrake 9.1 to install on my ze5375us by passing the the kernal the "noauto" param.