Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

redhat cluster without fence device

SOLVED
Go to solution
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

redhat cluster without fence device

hi all,

i have installed redhat el 5.1 on 2 x dl380 g5 with a shared storage (msa2012sa).

I have completed system configuration and multipath config. I even configured one lun to be use as quorum device.

i execute the following command to activate the device a quorum device.
mkqdisk /dev/mapper/mpath3p1

but when i start configure cluster, it ask about program for quorum device heuristic?

and then it ask to configure fence device. Can i skip this if i have quorom device. Configuring ILO for fencing device is not an option as we dont have enough network port allocate for it for the ILO.

Can this config works?
3 REPLIES
loco_vikide
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: redhat cluster without fence device

Hello,

Technically it does work. However, fencing is strongly recommended for data integrity. If ILO-fencing is not an option then you should look into imnplementing power fencing or/and SCSI reservation, etc ...

Cheers
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

"mkqdisk -c /dev/devicename -l quorumlablename"

is the syntax i remember;
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

thanks all. I will proceed with iLo config for primary fencing and quorum as 2nd level of fencing.