1753340 Members
5375 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

remote backup

Greta Blamire
Frequent Advisor

remote backup

What's the best way to backup to a remote device? I have 7 mount points on system a I need to back up to system b's dds drive. I tried fbackup with much effort and little success. Thanks for your help!
If you can't face the facts, change them!
5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: remote backup

Hi:

You need an '/etc/hosts.equiv' or '/.rhost' file on the remote server to allow this. Then, do:

# fbackup ... -f hostname:/dev/rmt/0m

Regards!

...JRF...
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

GNU's tar works very easily.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Brian K. Arnholt
Frequent Advisor

I have recently been successful with the 'vxdump' utilities to dump entire filesystems to a remote systems tape drive (in my case it was a DLT drive). You can specify incrementals and full dumps.

It works very nice for dumping entire filesystems and has a nice, interactive recovery process.

man vxdump or rvxdump (for a remote dump)

Good luck,

Brian

Some see things as they are and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not?
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

You can either mount the FS onto B and then back it up or run fbackup on A pointing to the tape drive in B. For example ..
On A (backing up /opt to B's /dev/rmt/0m
==========================================
# fbackup -f B:/dev/rmt/0m -i /opt
In order for this to work, root must be able to remsh to B.
Stephen Walton
Occasional Advisor

You need Amanda! This is a great free tool for multiple system backups to one machine which has a tape drive. It can be difficult to get it configured properly, but is very reliable once configured.

Among its best features is its ability to space full and incremental dumps so that each backup requires roughly equal amounts of work, its tracking of software compression, the option to use GNU tar instead of dump (so that backups on one system can be easily restored to another), and its flexibility: if you use GNU tar, you can backup up file systems or just individual directories.

See www.amanda.org. Also read the chapter on Amanda in the book "Unix Backup and Recovery".