1753496 Members
4450 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

replacement systems

Paul Willder
Occasional Advisor

replacement systems

I am in the process of replacing a 2 x V2500 system that is using MC Service Guard and Business copy with an XP 256 and eva3000 storage arrays. The replacement system is a 2 x RP4440, with MC Service guard and business copy. Now the problem what disk arrays can be used? I am told I will have to put this part of the order out to tender so are there any restrictions for the disk arrays I need to point out ?? It should be noted that the old EVA 3000 will be added to the the new system once it is in place and will need the data on it refreshed on a regular basis.

tks.
5 REPLIES 5
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Re: replacement systems

Take a look here:

http://www.hp.com/products1/serverconnectivity/support_matrices.html

"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Paul Willder
Occasional Advisor

Kent, I am looking more for what do I need to highlight about the disk array as HP may not be the only bidder, Sun or EMC etc. may bid as well, IE the system must work with MC SG and Business copy, as well as work with the original EVA 3000. Are there any techical issues that would perclude say using a sun or Dell Disk array?
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Have you been happy with the performance and support of using an all-HP solution? If so, I'd really avoid mixing vendors on the solution if possible. I'd say confidently that you'd be extremely happy with an XP1024 to replace an XP256, and if you have the budget, then of course the XP12000 would be just the coolest thing around. Also, I think you would be able move/upgrade/migrate your bus copy and Lun Mgr license to the new storage server, and lower costs (but price that as an option to make sure).

Also, your MC Service Guard implementation (and licenses) should be upgradable to the new server, and your MCSG migration to the new system would be simpler if you're still using basically all of the same stuff. Also, the difference in performance from XP256 to XP512 was good, but the diff in performance from XP512 to XP1024 is truly phenomenal. Since that storage server(XP1024) is not the BIG-GUY in the flagship, you should be able to get great pricing from HP on it.

I know that when I've had those extremely rare occurences when the server and storage system are "having events" that are beyond anything our team has ever experienced - there's nothing like calling HP support and having them jump on it for you ( I also HIGHLY recommend HP CSS support :-) ), and clearing it up quickly. I've had multi-vendor solutions before, and I'm much,much,much happier with single vendor solutions. Of course, many people do it successfully all of the time, I'd just rather not, when possible. Of course, If HP didn't have competitively priced storage systems at or near the same performance levels of other vendors, then I'd lean the other way.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Paul, you need to talk to this guy...

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1011145
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Moderator, the prior post from me was a mistake, please remove.