108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

required software list for new server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

required software list for new server

We have a couple of Linux servers and workstations are coming, I am creating a list of required software, those software are not included on Linux Distribution, so that I can download them be prepare for the future usage, any idea?

Really appreciate for your reply.

Shawn
7 REPLIES 7
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: required software list for new server

Most Linux distributions include just about everything except the kitchen sink. But a couple of things that I'd recommend you downloading (even though they may already be installed) include Apache, lsof, OpenSSL and OpenSSH. If you're going to use these machines for Web Services, consider using tomcat (a Java servlet engine that works with Apache) and mysql (for database). Most distributions already include Perl and Python (if not get it). That's all I can think of right now...

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much, Santosh, it is very helpful.

However, other relies still very welcome because everyone has their own thoughts which will make my list perfect.

Thanks,
Shawn
Bernie Vande Griend
Respected Contributor

Shawn,
Which linux distribution are you going to use?

Santosh is right, most distributions throw everything out there. And if its not on by default it usually is either on the install disk or provider's web site.

My problem is trying to figure out what NOT to install. I try to cut down the default list to what the server would use to help cut down # of patches to apply and security concerns.

But my list for what I always require is as follows (all available on the distribution): perl, expect, tcl/tk, openssl, ssh (openssh), apache (unless a internet server), ntp, lsof. ncftp, gcc, tcpdump.
Ye who thinks he has a lot to say, probably shouldn't.
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

Hi Bernie:

I have no idea and Linux Distribution since the server does come yet, I am just preparing. Thanks for your input.

By the way, I noticed you just passed 500 points, congrats!

Shawn
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Shawn,

Also, I guess I should have asked initially...what are the functions of the two machines, i.e. web server, file/print server, application server. Depending on what you plan to do with the machine, you'll need to install (or more likely, remove) software.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

Good point! Santosh.

By the way, I posted a new message for your crow, congrats!

Shawn
Bernie Vande Griend
Respected Contributor

Thanks Shawn.
I was asking about the distribution because different vendors (Redhat, Debian, etc) include different things. But most thrown in about everything you can think of.

I also agree with Santosh that I usually set up my server standard via function.
Example: DNS servers get ntp, named, ssh, etc.
Web servers get apache, ssh, etc.

Like I said early, on Linux I actually end up specify what NOT to install for each function since everything is there. (Much different that Solaris and HP-UX) :-)
Ye who thinks he has a lot to say, probably shouldn't.