New Discussion юеВ

rmdir

SOLVED
Go to solution
panchpan
Regular Advisor

rmdir

Hello.
Do we have a UX command which deletes directory and its sub-dirs without emptying them?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: rmdir

Hi:

> Do we have a UX command which deletes directory and its sub-dirs without emptying them?

I'm not sure I understand your objective. If a *directory* is *not* empty; that is, the directory has files and/or other subdirectories beneath it, 'rmdir' will not remove the directory. You can, however, use 'rm -rf /path_to_directory' to *force* the deletion of the directory and all subordinate objects (files and directories). Perhaps that is what you want done.

Regards!

...JRF...
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

Can you provide a bit more detail on what you need to do?

I don't see that it's possible to delete a directory and it's sub-dirs w/out out actually "deleting" them.

Do you need to relocate files to another dir then remove the existing directory structure?

-denver
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

If you remove a directory all the entries in that directory will be deleted. So no there is NO command that will delete a dir alongwith its sub-dirs without emptying them. The "rm -rf" command will remove a dir alongwith its contents i.e. files and any sub-dirs.

~cheers
Zinky
Honored Contributor

find /dirname -depth -type f -exec rm {}\;
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Zinky
Honored Contributor

The above command should maitain the directory structure --- which is I think what out friend Panchalp (from Thailand?) wants.
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
panchpan
Regular Advisor

MANY THANKS !!!
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

Could you shed more light on what you are trying to accomplish. Your requirement is confusing.