8781 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

root account disabled

Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

root account disabled

Hi,

I'm running the dtchooser for choosing the CDE server where to login (on HP-UX 11.00).

Since the root account is disabled on the local machine (it's a trusted system) because of too many unsuccessful logins, I have to login as root on the system console (without running dtchooser or dtlogin) to
re-activate the root account. Unfortunately, the dtchooser provides no action to change to "Command Line Login" as dtlogin does.

How do I enable the root account with a running dtchooser and without switching off the box (there
are processes running that should not be stopped)?
no users -- no problems
9 REPLIES 9
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor

Re: root account disabled

Hi,

to enable the root account again

#/usr/lbin/modprpw -l -k root
#modprpw -a alock=NO root

Piyush
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

I generally set up a pseudo root account on all my machines for problems such as this. A psuedo root account has its own username and password and has the UID = 0. Therefore, it has root access, that is it can change passwords without having to know the old password, etc.

HTH
Marty
Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

Piyush:

Unfortunately, I'm not logged in as root, now. Therefore I'm not able to execute 'modprpw'.

Martin:

Maybe, that's a good idea, but it helps not now.

Any other way???
no users -- no problems
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor

Hi,
edit the file /tcb/files/auth/r/root

and blank out the password field:

Example
change
:u_pwd=nYRki9DfDgYf6:to
:u_pwd=:

Piyush
Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

Piyush:

Are you kidding?? As I sayed, I'm not logged in as root, and the permissions of /tcb/files/auth/r/root are as they should be (I hope yours is not world-writeable).

Any other ideas???
no users -- no problems
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Hello,

If the root account disabled you should stll be able to access server from system console or web console.

-USA..
Good Luck..
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

I don't think you can enable root without getting into command line mode on the console. If you can't do that then you will need to reboot the system and come up in single user mode.

HTH
Marty
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor

Hi Thomas ,

Sorry......

You should be able to access the root thro system console or web console....

Or else you may have to boot the system into single user mode and then activate the root account.

Piyush

Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

Uday:

Unfortunately, it's not a server but a workstation. Therefore, I have no system console or a web console.

Martin:

That's what I think, too. But, I still hope, one of you knows another way.

Any more ideas??????
no users -- no problems