Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

root partition full

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kerilyn O'Donnell
Contributor

root partition full

I can't seem to find out where all the space in root went to. I was doing backups last night and root filled up around the same time - can't figure out where to start cleaning up.
7 REPLIES
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Re: root partition full

I would start by looking for core files. Then I would look for any log files, especially ones that are MBs in size.

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Kerilyn,
I am sure you mistype something in backup if this happen just after you start backup

/dev/rmt/ has all your space.
Some how your backup didn't went to tape but as a file in to the /dev/rmt/c?t?d????

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
nancy rippey
Trusted Contributor

Run lsof and redirect the output > /tmp/lsof.out
Look for entries that have /dev/dsk/vg## in the last column these are processes that can still be writing even though space has been cleared up. In my case it was a glance process. An example of the lsof is
emsagent 1502 root 0w VREG 64,0x2 47387 1884 / (/dev/vg00/l
vol3)
where=emsagent is the process name
1502= is the process number
/ = the filesystem that is being written to
/dev/vg00/lvol3=gives an inidication that the problem could be there.

By killing the process giving me problems I went from 97% full to 65%.

Hope this helps.
nancy
nrip
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

Hi Kerilyn:

Generally, core file is the first thing to check if I were you,

find / -name core -exec ll {} \;

Another point: you can use search function of this forums, just put "full" as key word, I am sure you can find more useful threads.

Good luck.

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Kerilyn:

If you were doing backups when your root filesystem space disappeared, it is very likely that you mis-keyed the tape device file name, leading to the creation of a large, space-consuming file.

A common typographical error would be substituting the letter "o" for the number "0" as in "/dev/rmt/om" instead of "/dev/rmt/0m".

Look for regular files in the /dev/rmt directory that don't belong. Remember that files in this directory should be character special files, not regular files, and thus should have modes that look like "crw-rw-rw-".

Regards!

...JRF...
Bill Thorsteinson
Honored Contributor

Usually when you run out of space it is one or two
large files. The command
du -a | sort -r -n | more
usually lists the problem file in the first few entries.

As noted above if you see a file in /dev here a file
got lost on its way to a device.

If space doesn't open up when you delete the file
check to make sure there isn't a process writting
to the file. lsof is the tool of choice.
Joachim DIESTEL
Occasional Visitor

Hi Kerylin,
try this little shell-script to find out your
largest files.