1753427 Members
4880 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rssh on hpux !!

Ivan Azuara
Regular Advisor

rssh on hpux !!

I'm really tired about this situation. I'm triying to obtain the best procedure for configure sftp accounts with the chroot property.

And i believe that the best option is use rssh with sftp because all my users have different home directories, and the implementation of chroot function of secure shell, results very hard for the administration.

Are you agree with this point ??. The question for the 1 million is, how can i configure the rssh on hpux ?. I tried on linux boxes and run very well.

Thank in advance.
"Enjoy the life .."
11 REPLIES 11
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I think you can used scp also for secure ftp.

Suraj
Ivan Azuara
Regular Advisor

I really need sftp. Someone know how to configure rssh on hpux ??.

Regards.
"Enjoy the life .."
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

What is rssh ?

I know of ssh, scp, sftp.

ssh like telnet but encrypted
ssh like remsh but encrypted
scp is like rcp but encryptend
sftp is like ftp but encrypted

Heironimus
Honored Contributor

I don't think I had to do anything special the last time I compiled rssh on HP-UX (using gcc).
Ivan Azuara
Regular Advisor

rssh - restricted shell for scp/sftp

this configuration is common in other operative systems like linux, but i was searching on internet and found some configurations for hp-ux.

Regards!
"Enjoy the life .."
Ivan Azuara
Regular Advisor

Do you have the complete procedure for the installation and configuration ??.

Regards.
"Enjoy the life .."
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Cool. I learned something new today.

I can go home now ;)

Heironimus
Honored Contributor

I think my complete procedure was "follow the instructions" - the source archive included the necessary documentation. Setting up the chroot was the only thing that required any thought, and it's about the same as with HP's tools. I don't think rssh really provided much over HP's package for a chroot user. rssh just gave me a way to create accounts that could use scp without having a shell.

What kind of administrative problems are you having with HP's chroot ssh? rssh actually may have the same problems.
Ivan Azuara
Regular Advisor

Well,

In fact the chroot of secure shell is a good option but i have a lot of ftp users with differents home directories (necesary for the main application), and think that will be so hard for the administration, and i don't want a lot of copies of binaries, libraries,etc.

For that reason i'm looking for a simple solution like rssh + sftp.

Thank's for your time.
"Enjoy the life .."