New Discussion юеВ

Re: rx3600 Booting from SAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

rx3600 Booting from SAN

Hello Folks,

I have been tasked to migrate an internal boot disk'ed rx3600 (hpux 11.23) to boot from SAN. I have got AB378A single port Fibre HBAs to be installed onto the system. This is what I have in mind, please correct me I am working on HPUX after a long time.

a).I see a driver named "FC-FCD B.11.23.07 FibrChnl;HW=A6826A,A9782A,A9784A,AB378A/B,AB379A/B,AB465A,AD193A,AD194A,AD300A" ... on the system, So I need not install any drivers for my HBA.
b). System already has "HWEnable11i B.11.23.0609.053 Hardware Enablement Patches for HP-UX 11i v2, September 2006" I guess all the SAN booting kernel modules are in there already.
c). The documentation has given a list of patches to be installed, I will do that.
d). The documentation has some reference to updating EFI versions to 1.05 or later ... How do I check this version and how do I update it ?
e). Physically install the HBAs, do the required zoning and masking.
f). Initialise the SAN boot disk to Itanium type device files. ( to create those s2,s1 device files )
g). Mirror the internal disk onto the SAN device and remove the mirror copy from internal disk.
h). Update the setboot and reboot the system ...

Any thoughts on my plan ?

Regards,

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
5 REPLIES 5
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Why not use DRD for 11.23 rather than do the mirroring?

see:
http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=DynRootDisk
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

Wow .. I did not know alt_disk_install equivalent was available on hpux. Thank you for that information. I will use it this time.

Did you find any errors in my plan ?

Regards,

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

Question on DRD ,

drd clone -t /dev/dsk/c1t1d0

Should I be using /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s2 on an Itanium system ?

Regards,

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

DRD will discover what architecture you are using, and create the cloned boot disk accordingly.
So use the /dev/dsk/cxtyd0 without the s number.
It will also discover which Volume Manager you are using and set it up the same, i.e. if using LVM it will create vg00, if using VxVM it will create the DG for you.

My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

Great .. Thank you for that information. I will leave this open for other folks to comment on my plan.
Nothing is impossible