New Discussion юеВ

Re: (s)tty remote problem

Andrea Storto

(s)tty remote problem

Dear all,
when I do a remote shell command from a FUJITSU Unix to an HP-UX,
I always get this:

[code]
15:36:35 + rsh -l storto obs2 sh /users/obs/storto/MESO-NH/tmp_olive_map_00CC/job_prepex_70JY_C00CC_20041103_19
Not a terminal
stty: : Erreur inconnue
stty: : Erreur inconnue
2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 [/code]

but no problem when I login on the remote machine and type the same command.
If I do a rsh ... "tty" I receive
not a tty
while a tty directly on the remote machine give:
[code]
/dev/ttyq5
[/code]
while a [B]rsh ... "stty"[/B]:
[code]stty: : Erreur inconnue[/code]
and directly on the remote machine :
[code]
speed 9600 baud; evenp hupcl
intr = ^C; erase = ^H; kill = ^U;
eol2 = ^@; swtch = ^@;
susp = ^Z; dsusp = ^Y;
werase = ^@; lnext = ^V;
-inpck -istrip icrnl -ixany ixoff onlcr
-iexten echo echoe echok
-echoctl -echoke
[/code]
I tried loading profile files at the beginning of the rsh command,
and changing some option regarding stty, but it does not work and I'm not able to solve the problem, and it's important for the execution of a shell script
from a remote calculator.
Thank you in advance,

Andrea
2 REPLIES 2
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Two areas to look at.

Environment and stty.

This could be triggered by the fact that the environment between the two boxes is very different. env > /tmp/env.txt

Take a look there.

You might need to modify the root .profile or the /etc/profile on the HP-UX box to accommodate the changes you want in stty. That will effect users that directly log onto the HP-UX box and thus requires thorough testing.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Andrea Storto

Yes, I yet looked at env output, both
for local and remote command, and trying
to force some variables (DISPLAY TERM and SHELL)
that I supposed involved, but it does not work
anyway; moreover, I've no root permission, so
I can't access to etc files. The solution I hope to find is to impose the right enviromental variables at the beginning of rsh
command.
I partially solved the problem (but it's not the wanted solution because the script might be exportable!):
the script I launch from remote needs to load profile file (it's mandatory for some program paths); if I eliminate the stty invocation from profile it works; anyway it's clear that I didn't solve the question but only by-passed it!!
I report the two env output:
FROM REMOTE MACHINE is simply:

_=/usr/bin/env
LANG=fr_FR.iso88591
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/contrib/bin:/usr/local/bin:
LOGNAME=storto
SHELL=/usr/bin/sh
HOME=/users/obs/storto
PWD=/users/obs/storto
TZ=MET-1METDST

LOCALLY:
_=/usr/bin/env
DTDATABASESEARCHPATH=/users/obs/storto/.dt/types/fp_dynamic,/users/obs/storto/.dt/types,/etc/dt/
appconfig/types/%L,/etc/dt/appconfig/types/C,/usr/dt/appconfig/types/%L,/usr/dt/appconfig/types/
C
LANG=fr_FR.iso88591
DTINFOLIBDEFAULT=cde
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/ansic/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/contrib/bin:/opt/nettladm/bin:/opt
/fc/bin:/opt/fcms/bin:/opt/upgrade/bin:/opt/pd/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/contrib/bin/X11:/opt/hparra
y/bin:/opt/aCC/bin:/opt/langtools/bin:/opt/fortran90/bin:/opt/fortran90/contrib/bin:/opt/imake/b
in:/opt/fortran/bin:/opt/perf/bin:.:/opt/nqs/bin:/d10/free/mesonh/UPDATE_PROCEDURES:/d10/free/me
sonh/procedures:/d10/free/mesonh/binaries:/users/obs/storto/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/local/bin/elm:/
free/bin:/free/lib:/free/include:.:/opt/wt/bin:/tmp::/cti/bin:/users/obs/storto:/users/obs/.bin:
/opt/nqs/bin:/ext1/crisp/bin.hpux:/usr/lib:/xdata/cti/UTILS/CONVERT/HPPA:/xdata/cti/applix:/usr/
local/lib:/etc:/opt/tina/Bin:/xdata/cti/ncar-4.3/bin
COLUMNS=80
DTUSERSESSION=storto-obs2-0
XMICONBMSEARCHPATH=/users/obs/storto/.dt/icons/%B%M.bm:/users/obs/storto/.dt/icons/%B%M.pm:/user
s/obs/storto/.dt/icons/%B:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.bm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.pm:
/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.bm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.p
m:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.bm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%
M.pm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.bm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%
B%M.pm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B
INFO_PATH=/users/obs/storto/.dt/paminfo_obs2:0
SESSION_SVR=obs2
WINDOWID=343932948
EDITOR=vi
LOGNAME=storto
DTSCREENSAVERLIST=StartDtscreenSwarm StartDtscreenQix StartDtscreenFlame StartDtscreenHop St
artDtscreenImage StartDtscreenLife StartDtscreenRotor StartDtscreenPyro StartDtscreenWorm St
artDtscreenBlank
MAIL=/var/mail/storto
NCAR_ROOT=/xdata/cti/ncar-4.3
ERASE=^H
DTINFOLIBSEARCHPATH=/usr/dt/infolib/%L/%I.dti:/usr/dt/infolib/C/%I.dti
USER=storto
NCARG_ROOT=/xdata/cti/ncar-4.3
SESSION_MANAGER=local/obs2:/var/spool/sockets/ICE/555,tcp/obs2:56041
DISPLAY=obs2:0.0
HOME_WRKSTA=/users/obs/storto
SHELL=/usr/bin/sh
DTAPPSEARCHPATH=/users/obs/storto/.dt/appmanager:/etc/dt/appconfig/appmanager/%L:/etc/dt/appconf
ig/appmanager/C:/usr/dt/appconfig/appmanager/%L:/usr/dt/appconfig/appmanager/C
HOME=/users/obs/storto
XMICONSEARCHPATH=/users/obs/storto/.dt/icons/%B%M.pm:/users/obs/storto/.dt/icons/%B%M.bm:/users/
obs/storto/.dt/icons/%B:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.pm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.bm:/e
tc/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.pm:/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.bm:
/etc/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.pm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B%M.
bm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/%L/%B:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%M.pm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B%
M.bm:/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/%B
TERM=hpterm
PWD=/users/obs/storto
RMACH=obs2
dtstart_sessionlogfile=/dev/null
TZ=MET-1METDST
START_SUPC=obs2
LINES=24
DTHELPSEARCHPATH=/users/obs/storto/.dt/help/storto-obs2-0/%H:/users/obs/storto/.dt/help/storto-o
bs2-0/%H.sdl:/users/obs/storto/.dt/help/storto-obs2-0/%H.hv:/users/obs/storto/.dt/help/%H:/users
/obs/storto/.dt/help/%H.sdl:/users/obs/storto/.dt/help/%H.hv:/etc/dt/appconfig/help/%L/%H:/etc/d
t/appconfig/help/%L/%H.sdl:/etc/dt/appconfig/help/%L/%H.hv:/etc/dt/appconfig/help/C/%H:/etc/dt/a
ppconfig/help/C/%H.sdl:/etc/dt/appconfig/help/C/%H.hv:/usr/dt/appconfig/help/%L/%H:/usr/dt/appco
nfig/help/%L/%H.sdl:/usr/dt/appconfig/help/%L/%H.hv:/usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/%H:/usr/dt/appconfi
g/help/C/%H.sdl:/usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/%H.hv:/etc/vhelp/%T/%L/%H:/etc/vhelp/%T/%H:/etc/vhelp/%
T/%L/%H.hv:/etc/vhelp/%T/%H.hv:/etc/vhelp/%T/C/%H:/etc/vhelp/%T/C/%H.hv:/usr/vhelp/%T/%L/%H:/usr
/vhelp/%T/%H:/usr/vhelp/%T/%L/%H.hv:/usr/vhelp/%T/%H.hv:/usr/vhelp/%T/C/%H:/usr/vhelp/%T/C/%H.hv
XMBINDDIR=/usr/dt/lib/bindings