Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save a copy of every email

Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

save a copy of every email

I'm running sendmail 8.11 on an HP-UX 11.11 server, behind an anti-spam gateway. Fairly low traffic as far as mail servers go.

All clients here relay email through this server.

If management here decides that for security and/or legal reasons they need to retain a copy of every email sent or received, is that something that can be set up without any hardware?

I guess I'm wondering if sendmail can quietly do this work by itself on the server, through some configuration. Or if I need another box or a 3rd-party piece of software.

Fred
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
2 REPLIES
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: save a copy of every email

........is that something that can be set up without any hardware?

YES, send to /dev/null.

You need hardware, like disk drives, cpu('s), memory, ...

Caught ya :-)))

Try this documentation: http://www.geocities.com/sbmilbur/sendmail/

live free or die
harry d brown jr
Live Free or Die
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Re: save a copy of every email

Just a direction to look at, concerning mail you receive : .forward and .procmailrc.
.forward let you tell to wich recipient a copy of each mail must be send. And this recipient may be a file...
.procmailrc is a cofiguration file for procmail. I don't believe it's a standard on HP-UX servers, but I think it can be install. It's a little bit more complex but powerfull tool than .forward can be.

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)