5469 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

-sbin-rc error messages

I H Chen
Advisor

-sbin-rc error messages

Hello all,

We installed QPK1100.depot(Quality pack bundle Dec./2002) on a C3600 workstaion that are running HP-UX 11.0 OS. During the reboot process, the console show:

/sbin/rc[38] : 048 : The specified number is not valid for this command.

And the workstation enter the norminal boot up process to kick all service. One thing is very stange, all services startus content was displayed with white charactors(the previous has green color). The display method was not same as prior. what happen to it? Does anybody has experience this problem? I just encounter this problem just i install QPK1100.depot file.

Thanks!

Y.H.Chen
Yh Chen
3 REPLIES 3
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Re: -sbin-rc error messages

known issue : read the patch.text for PHCO_26789 sh-possix(1) cum patch

Special Installation Instructions:
Shell now recognizes octal and hexa numbers inside
arithmetic expression. This may have impact on some
of the scripts.
For example: rc.utils might have configured as
follows:
let ROWS="$rows"
let COLS="$cols"
Now, if the rows/cols variables start with a 0, the shell
will interpret the data as octal numbers resulting in
incorrect interpretations or errors.
Hence we advise users to change the rc.utils as follows:
let ROWS="${rows##*(0)}"
let COLS="${cols##*(0)}"

I H Chen
Advisor

Hi Alex,

I have download PHCO_27344 patch and install it. We also change /sbin/rc.utils file as you descibe. After we reboot it the display looks like norminal. Thanks for your help!

One more question, what is the best way to find such known problem? I have search ITRC forum many times and can not find such article. what is the best way to get this notice? Maybe we ignore some import steps to follow.

Thanks again!

Yh Chen
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

One of the things I do is after looking through the ITRC forum search, I will tend to look at patches for certain things if I cannot find anything. It is of course easier if you know exactly what your looking for. Seeing you loaded a recent patch bundle I would be looking for a later patch, searching for "/sbin/rc" as my search string.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?