7926 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

/sbin/reboot hanging

Christian S. Poulsen
Occasional Contributor

/sbin/reboot hanging

Hi all

I have just set-up two new N-4000 servers with HP-UX 11.00. However, now I have seen a few times that the servers are hanging when I try to reboot them.

When I issue 'shutdown -r 0' then the processes are closed correctly and when this is done '/sbin/reboot' is executed, and at this point nothing happens. I have actually tried to wait 45 minutes, just to see what happens. But I had to run 'rs' to get the system down.

Does any of know about this kind of problem, on a HP-UX 11 machine?

Thanks in advance.

/Christian
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Re: /sbin/reboot hanging

Christian,
I have never heard about a situation like your's. Can you give us the code from the VFP while the server 'stucks' and maybe the last logs of the incoming logs.
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Brian MacKinnon

Christian,

I have never heard of this before ..... Gave it a try on a L2000 with 11.0 ... works fine using ...

"shutdown -r -y now"

Christian S. Poulsen
Occasional Contributor

There was actually no codes or logs, it was litterally hanging. Isn't it weird?
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Christian,

there is always a log in the incoming logs...
What's weird is the fact that there is no new code on the VFP! can you please double check it the next time the system hangs that
Ctrl-B
GSP> VFP

returns no codes...
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Jim Galliher
Advisor

We are experiencing the same problem with our N Class server since April 2001. Support also never had encountered a problem like this also. Our only alternative was to crash the system everytime we wanted to bring it down. Finally HP had us send a crash dump and found we had a database application hanging a pty and this is what was causing our problem. They feel it is a timing issue and have given us a special patch from the lab PHNE_25914. We did not have a chance to implement this patch yet, so I'm not sure this is a fix.
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

I like the timing issue explaination! It was always a good one for me when I was in support!

If you transition run level via init, what happens?

Have a look at your /etc/inittab to verify shutdown init level..

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
Also check your syslog files for any corrupt hard disk.

Thanks