1752664 Members
5649 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

scandisk and defrag.

ron bailey
Occasional Contributor

scandisk and defrag.

my computer will not diskscan and it wont defrag.i even tried in safe mode and still wont.It saids i dont have enough memory.I have 256mb rams,so what is up with that??? HELP
9 REPLIES 9
George P Kesselring

Re: scandisk and defrag.

What is the OS and how much HD space do you have left? Start you system monitor and see how much ram is free or from dos mem.
it's all Binary
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

Do you have space in your tmp or temp directory. Is tmp or temp set in you enviroment vairable? How big is your pagging file?
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Ron:

Are you using antivirus software? If not, go to Symantec's website and scan for viruses online.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
J Oldland

I hope you've fixed the problem by now - if not, here's my 2 cents.

I would boot from a clean floppy - minimal boot (i.e. leave the drivers and such behind). Run CHKDSK after booting (any drive as target) and verify you have 655,360 in "total bytes memory" (not bytes free). If not, there is a virus and even that floppy is infected.

Now DEFRAG/SCANDISK have sufficient memory. If you still get that error - it's not the memory .. you have corrupted files. That error seems to come up a lot when a garbled executable (or associated DLLs, etc.) is called.

Your larger problem - where's your memory when you go back to the regular environment?

I suspect it's a broken rogue application. Spyware, a trojan, malware, whatever name you give it ..... I'll start a new thread to address that stuff. I've been meaning to do that anyway and will pass on a few tips, tools, and links that should help.

Regards,

Spark
"Careful with that axe, Eugene..." - Pink Floyd
William Gill

A chkdsk/F from the command prompt will truncate all the linked/corrupted files you have. Also make sure you have a virtual page file

just a thought :)
josemaria cr
Regular Advisor

And, is possible to do this in a 500 GB disk?
How can I now how long it can take?

Regards,
jmc
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Josemaria:

The amount of time it takes is variable, even on the same computer. If all is well Scandisk could easily run in less than 5 minutes but if problems exist, it might take a hour or more. The same goes for Defrag, it depends on how fragmented the drive data is, how much free space there is, what's running in the system, hardware resources, etc.
The best thing to do is run it when you won't need the computer for a while. I usually run them at night on my 250GB ATAPI drive and check the results in the morning.

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Kim Torkelson
Respected Contributor

Jon:
In order for a ScanDisk and Defrag to perform on your PC, you must have at least ten percent of your hard drive free. Both utilities write temporarily to free space on the hard drive, that's why you need that. Also, as suggested by another member, make sure your Temp folder is empty, and it wouldn't hurt to empty your Temporary Internet Files folder too.
Good Luck!
~kim
josemaria cr
Regular Advisor

And, what about the servers with very large volumes in a SAN?

Regards,
jmc