1748182 Members
3391 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: screen freezing & errors, etc.

Linda G. Rosario
Occasional Contributor

screen freezing & errors, etc.

I have a HP Pavilion CD-Writer Plus system and have been having alot of problems with it. First of all its been freezing up on me (the screen) and now even the curser frezes. Also, I get messages like: This program has performed an illegal operation & will be shut down; Running oon low resourcs; Can't find this page and others.... I'm going crazy with all this and the system belongs to my boyfriend so I could help him with his business and he has no idea about all this, because he would pick up the whole system and take it back to Office Depot.... So, please help..... I personnally enjoy computers, but can't deal much longer with all this....When it freezes the only way I can shut down is pull plug or hit the red switch on the back....Also, he is upset because he hasn't received his REBATES yet...
9 REPLIES 9
Douglas Cromby_1
Valued Contributor

To help further, I would need more information. You have not said what operating system you are using, and in addition which application you are using when the problem happens. Is the problem happen randomly or when specific applications are running or specific actions taken.

I should capture the exact error that you see. It sounds like you are getting a General Protection Fault and this can be generated when an application falls over.
Dave Egli
Advisor

hello Linda,
Sometimes if there is an incorrect jumper setting on
the cdrw drive the computer will tend to freeze up. You probably want to verify that the jumper on the
back of the drive is set to slave mode. If this doesn't
work you might just have software problems. Hope i
could help.
everything can be fixed
Dave Egli
Advisor

hello Linda,
the cdrw drive the computer will tend to freeze up. You probably want to verify that the jumper on the
could help.
everything can be fixed
Dave Egli
Advisor

hello Linda,
could help.
everything can be fixed
Dave Egli
Advisor

hello Linda,
the cdrw drive the computer will tend to freeze up.
You probably want to verify that the jumper on the
could help.
everything can be fixed
Dave Egli
Advisor

hello Linda,
the cdrw drive the computer will tend to freeze up.
You probably want to verify that the jumper on the
could help.
everything can be fixed
Keith Van Zile

I've suffered through a year of H-P 8655C freezes until getting this solution from a guy who saw my post here on the Forum.

Subject: HP 8655C Freeze ups

Keith, I saw your post on the HP Forum. My Pavilion 8655C has the exact same problem as yours and HP Support was worthless in solving this problem. I spent hours and Long distance $$ talking with HP Support. I found two fixes on internet usenet groups. Both worked. 1. Reduce monitor resoultion to 1024x768--256 colors when on the internet. Crapy colors and resolution, but no freeze ups. 2. Reformat hard drive and install Windows 98 without using the HP installation disks. I had this done at a shop and this computer is finally working right. I lost all the applications that came with the HP system, but it was worth it. I am still under warranty but it is worthless, and I don't trust them now. I have repurchased new software and will never buy HP again. I tell my story to all who are interested. Don in Colorado
Keeping my Pavillion 8655C from freezing is a business issue!
William_16

Keith: yeah i got the EXACT model & problems you do or did..I started to do that...try another disc, but I did 5 win installs & 3 recover & installs with those friken mirror discs!Still froze!added memory,cleaned the box,unplugged & repluged everything,put win 2000 on,Thanks for the input...Ill try 2 fixes this week..

Did you ever solve your freezing problem? Just wondering since I have an HP 8655c as well.

Katie in Tucson