1752448 Members
5986 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: secondary ide controller {fifo}

marvin mackey
Advisor

secondary ide controller {fifo}

I hope that someone can help.I tried to connecta second dvd drive on a chain {dual} cable.The first connecter from the system board,I put one and on the second connecter theother,When I booted my computer,the icon showed that there was no recorder,when i looked at the device manager,it showed that there was a confect with the secondary ide controller.How do I correct this?
8 REPLIES 8
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I did not understood how exactly you connected, but did you jumpered the DVD drive.

On the same cable, one device must be master and the other slave.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
marvin mackey
Advisor

Ivan,Yes I have made one slave and the other master,Like I said the problem wwas with the secondary ide conroller[fifo].That what was showed in the device manger,there was a conflet between the seconndary ide controller.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Can you see ALL devices at BIOS Level?

What windows version are you using?

When you see the properties of the secondary controller, it lists the conflicting hardware?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
marvin mackey
Advisor

Ivan,Yes I can see all the device in bois,I'am using win98 se,The confilting devices are between the cd and the dvd drives,And it showns the the seconterdary ide controllers drivers need updating,But when I take one off,Then that problem doesn't showup.I also have one of the drives set master and slave,Also which one should be in the dual cable first,the slave or the master?
Jeff Wilkins
Valued Contributor

Usually the connectors are colored. Black is master, grey is slave and blue goes to the mobo.

If you do not have colored cables 80 pin has master at the end.
jfwilkins@hotmail.com
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

If you jumpered as master and slave, not as cable select, it does not matter.

I think that you should try updating the drivers for your motherboard. IDE controllers drivers should be available.

You can also use a boot disk, to try the access at DOS level, to discard that you are having a real problem, and to ensure that is only a Windows problem.
marvin mackey
Advisor

Ivan,Jeff, Thanks very much for your help.I dont know how to upgrade from the motherboard,So I guess I'll reinstall win98 to see if that will install the drivers for the scondary controller ide.again thanks. Marvin
marvin mackey
Advisor

Although I didn't find solution to my problem,I wan to thank Ivan and Jeff for their help.