5098 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: secure path & kernel versions

Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

secure path & kernel versions

Hi,
anyone knows why SP 4 linux is so tight on kernel requirements? Wont even install on the latest redhat kernel update.

Right now:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS, Errata Kernel 2.4.9-e25-smp,
2.4.9-e27-smp, 2.4.9-e25 enterprise, 2.4.9-e27 enterprise

RH Enterprise 3 doesnt seem to be supported either ( 2.4.21+ kernel ).

What is supposed to happen if a critical security patch is out ? Can I install on a supported kernel and update it afterward ?
Any HP insider has any timeframe for Enterprise 3 support ??
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Wood_3
Respected Contributor

Secure Path 3.0C will support RHEL 3 and SUSE 8 SP3. ETA in March.

dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

This is one of the reasons i prefer not to select solutions that are not by default usable from the kernel.
For one it is a major pain updating the kernels en recompiling those modules in, if they still work with the new kernel.
Secondly you taint your kernel and rh or the kernel hackers will become very hestitant to support you when things go wrong.
Now 2.6 has the possibility to load modules independent on the kernel version etc, so at least that will save us admins a lot of work in cases we do need it.
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

I agree 100% with Dirk. Deviating from the standard open-source release paths may seem to give you a temporary advantage, however it will almost certainly "bite you in the ass" later on. As you seem to have already discovered.
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

I dont think your arguments apply here guys.
It is not a major pain to update a *stock* redhat kernel with *stock* HP drivers, really not.
HP/redhat will support HPs modules even if they are tainted ( I pay a ****load for support).

I just want to know what will be the HP strategy when redhat release critical security updates... I will open a ticket, thanks anyway.