Operating System - HP-UX
1753479 Members
4883 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: send mime attachments from command-line?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Trever Furnish
Regular Advisor

send mime attachments from command-line?

Anyone have a straightforward solution for attaching and sending multimedia files (such as PDFs) from the command line via email (non-interactively)?

HPUX includes elm and a (barebones) version of metamail, but not the mailto utility from metamail.

Elm doesn't seem to support attaching files to a message via the command-line unless you run it interactively.

Installed pine, works fine interactively, but doesn't seem to allow sending a message non-interactively.

Installed mutt, seems to work, but the attachments are corrupt.

Am I missing something? This shouldn't be this difficult. What do you use? Manually compiled metamail with mailto?

Suggestions?
Hockey PUX?
5 REPLIES 5
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

This one is pretty easy. Use the default MUA mailx, and uuencode. The command is: uuencode /path/file /path/file|mailx -s "Subject" me@myaddy.com

This will attach your file and mail it. We use both mutt and mailx as our MUA, and both work pretty well.

Chris
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

use uuencode..

uuencode filetobattached filename | sendmail emailid.

Suppose you want attach a pdf file from /home/dir to abc@xyz.com

uuencode /home/dir/filename.pdf filename.pdf | sendmail abc@xyz.com

-USA..
Good Luck..
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

There are a few ways this can be done....

Here's a thread that my give you enough options to try:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/0,,0x41950559ff7cd4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Rgrds,
Rita
Trever Furnish
Regular Advisor

Thanks, all!

Ten points to Pete for being the first to link to something that mentioned [include] for elm. Rita, yours would have gotten me there too, but Pete beat ya to it. But your link included mpack, another option - thanks!

For those suggesting uuencode, thanks, but I should have been more specific. Uuencoding is not quite enough for this app because only a small subset of clients will still seamlessly decode it.
Hockey PUX?