6002 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: sendmail, another way to do...

Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

sendmail, another way to do...

Hi Folks!

At present my HP-UX boxes are sending messages fine via our local Relay Server configuration. To do this I'm ussing DSgateway.mydom.com into /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file and any external domains are defined into /etc/hosts files using the local gateway.mydom.com IP address, i.e:
2.33.44.55 pepsi.com
2.34.44.55 levis.com
2.34.44.55 etc.com
...and so on!

Well, now the smtp service will be migrate to a far remote server where IP changes will make without notification, only guaranteeing that the alias (gateway.mydom.com) will not change without previous warning and always well be reachable by corporate DNS resolution. Does some way exist of configuring external domains without depending on the IP address trick?

Rgds.
3 REPLIES 3
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Not sure how the listing of external domains on /etc/hosts has anything to do with what you are seeking.

You have a DS relay setup. Unless you have additional configuration parameters in the sendmail.cf file (mailertable, virtusers, etc) then all mail from your UNIX host will be relayed to the DS relay. It is the DS relay that is doing the resolution for the outgoing mail. All you do is send it there.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

You will have to remove from /etc/hosts - and rely on DNS.

You will want the TTL low - so your server won't cache the ip address for too long....

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Pedro Cosmen
Valued Contributor

Hola José María,

Can you use the DNS service?, if so configure your /etc/resolv.conf including a line like this:

nameserver "your DNS server"

and the /etc/nsswitch
The nsswitch.hp_defaults that is in your system will work.

#cp /etc/nsswitch.hp_defaults /etc/nsswitch

Regar