General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sendmail is trying to connect to 0.0.0.0 via relay

SOLVED
Go to solution
Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

sendmail is trying to connect to 0.0.0.0 via relay

Hello everyone!

 

I have a weird problem. My send mail that was working last week suddenly does not. I am not running the sendmail daemon just using smart relay.

 

If I set the sendmail.config file DS 192.168.5.33 then do a sendmail -v tim.ttksg.com, it comes back with the messages

 

tim@ttksg.com.... Connecting to 0.0.0.0. via relay

tim@ttksg.com.... Deffered: Connection refused by 0.0.0.0.

 

any idea what would be causing this?

 

Thanks!

 

4 REPLIES
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: sendmail is trying to connect to 0.0.0.0 via relay

sendmail.cf is the likely culprit, followed by /etc/hosts, maybe DNS.

What does:

 

       grep -e "0.0.0.0" -e ^DS /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

 

show? The DS directive defines the smart relay. 0.0.0.0 should only appear in comments.

If DS shows a hostname such as mail.bozo.com, what does:

 

      nslookup mail.bozo.com

 

show? Also look at /etc/mail/sendmail.cw for errors.

 

To avoid DNS messing up your email, change the DS address to IP rather than hostname.



Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

Re: sendmail is trying to connect to 0.0.0.0 via relay

Hi Bill,

 

DS192.168.5.33

 

I am confused... because I have 3 HP servers and they are all doing the same thing.

 

 

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: sendmail is trying to connect to 0.0.0.0 via relay

If you need to use an IP address with your smarthost setting instead of a DNS name, put it in [square brackets].

 

Like this:

DS[192.168.5.33]

 

MK
Timothy P. Jackson
Valued Contributor

Re: sendmail is trying to connect to 0.0.0.0 via relay

I found that there was a conflict between the the domain name and what the DNS server was liking.

 

Some places had xxxx.com and others had xxxx.local. As I said, this was working up until last week Friday so what ever changed was outside the HP servers. But the HP server were not correct. so I went through all the configuration files on HP-UX and made sure that they were all correct and that seemed to solve the problem