108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

sendmail relay

SOLVED
Go to solution
Neil Harris
Regular Advisor

sendmail relay

I wish to configure send mail to relay mail from an outlook express client when I try to send a test message I get:-

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'neilharris@cableinet.co.uk'. Subject 'test', Account: 'node25', Server: 'node25', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '571 ... we do not relay', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 571, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I have tried setting the DS macro to the name of the sendmail server with no good effect.

Can anyone help

P.S.This thread has been moved from Moved from HP-UX>General  to HP-UX> messaging- HP Forums Moderator

An inveterate hacker
6 REPLIES 6
Usman
Advisor

Re: sendmail relay

sendmail is by default configured for non-relaying to reject spamming. you can allow specific IPs to relay by listing them in /etc/mail/LocalIP on HP-UX systems.
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Hello ,
What happend if you do from the sendmai server
#sendmail -v user@domain
user@domain being an email address out on the internet and then the domain and the user of the mail you are trying to relay from. Also where are you adding your users? And is the sendmail server on a public or private network the same as the workstation with the out look client. Also what verion of sendmail are you using?

Richard
Jeffrey S. Sims
Trusted Contributor

Depending on what version of sendmail you are using (find out by typing: telnet localhost 25 on the mail server and reading the output) you can designate who is allowed to relay by either using the /etc/mail/access file and putting an entry such as:

me@mydomain.com RELAY

there should be an entry similar to:

Kaccess hash /etc/mail/access in your sendmail.cf file

or you can put your IP address (the ip of the machine allowed to relay) in /etc/mail/relay.allow file.

In this case there should be an entry similar to:

FR/etc/mail/relay.allow

in your sendmail.cf file. Check the documentation for your release for the exact syntax but this should get you going in the right direction.

Hope it helps
Ralf Hildebrandt
Valued Contributor

Jeffrey Sims answer (expert in this area??) is actually causing sendmail to be an open relay.
Relaying decisions MUST BE made based on IP's or authentication!

Anybody can specify a sender address of me@mydomain.com and thus abuse the sendmail box as relay for sending out spam!

Postfix/BIND/Security/IDS/Scanner, you name it...
Kevin Wright
Honored Contributor

You need to control who can use the box to relay through you FR macro in the sendmail.cf file..this FR macro points to different files depending on what OS, and version of sendmail you are using. IE FR-o /etc/mail/relay-domains.
in /etc/mail/relay-domains you would have
ipaddress or domain names. These IP must be able to resolve to a hostname, or relaying will be denied.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Neil,

Have a look at this thread. Go to Installing and Administering Sendmail --> Configuring a sendmail client to relay all mail to a server

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90685/B2355-90685.html

Hope this helps. Sorry, if you have already tried that.

Thanks