Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sendmail

robert sears_1
Contributor

sendmail

Thanks for the help, now that I know that I am stuck eith version 8.9.3, does anyone know where in the sendmail.cf file, I can lock the relay setting? I apparantly have an open relay problem.
Sears
2 REPLIES
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Re: sendmail

Hi Robert,

/usr/share/doc/sendmail8-8_delta.txt on your server describes the Anti-relaying features of sendmail.

Best regards,

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
Douglas Cromby_1
Valued Contributor

Re: sendmail

I wonder if you are still using sendmail version 8.8.6, rather than 8.9.3. Version 8.9.3 does not relay by default, whereas 8.8.6 does. This can be a problem for people doing an upgrade to sendmail, as the loss of relaying can be an unexpected development.

To see if you are using a sendmail.cf file of version 8.9.3, do this:

grep DZ /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

You will see something like:

DZ8.9.3

If this is still reading 8.8.6, then it is possible that you have a sendmail binary of 8.9.3 and a sendmail.cf of version 8.8.6.

To see the version of the sendmail binary do:

what /usr/sbin/sendmail

and you will see this

sendmail:
version.c 8.9.3.1 (Berkeley) 2/9/1999 (PHNE_18979)

During the upgrade process, the new sendmail.cf file is placed in /usr/newconfig/etc/mail. The idea is that you copy this file into place in /etc/mail, and apply the changes that you applied to the original file to the new. Make sure you keep a copy of the original one. It is possible that should you copy this file over, and then stop and start sendmail, then you will stop relaying.