Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sendmail

Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

sendmail

When I send a EMail ,does have a PC's IP address in the EMail ? Do have a way to hide it ? What is the way ?

Your reply is very appreciated .
Thanks
3 REPLIES
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Re: sendmail

Hi Vincenzo,

Are you trying to masquerade so that all your email appears to come from a different host rather than the host you are sending it from?

-Ramesh
They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Vincenzo,

Your question is not very clear so this is based on what I understood.

Usually we use PCs as clients that depend on mail servers for mail delivery. So, we need to change the configuration on the mail server.

A typical example is using Netscape POP client on a PC connecting to a UNIX sendmail. We specify the UNIX server as the POP server. The PC's address will not come into picture.

To hide the IP address/hostname of the server, we can use CM and DM macros.

If specified DM macro in the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf will hide the hostname/IP address and send it with the domain name.

DMyourdomain.com

CM macro will not masqueride the IP address/hostname for the domain specified.

CMyourdomain.com

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Return-Path:
Apparently-To: name@domain.com
Delivered-To: 8cf1c536-name@domain.com
Received: (qmail 56245 invoked from network); 4 Sep 2001 09:20:56 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO zzz.) (xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt)
by ... with SMTP; 4 Sep 2001 09:20:56 -0000
Received: (from xxx@localhost) by aaacons. (8.8.6 (PHNE_14041)/8.7.1) id LAA04639 for name@domain.com; Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:18:15 +0200 (METDST)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:18:15 +0200 (METDST)
Message-Id: <200109040918.LAA04639@yyyy.>
To:
Subject:
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I want to hide this ip addres
(xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt)