1748089 Members
5099 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: server reboot

Sarwan
Frequent Advisor

server reboot

I have a HP-UX B.11.00 box and it got rebooted.
1. I don't find any schedulled reboot entry in crontab.
2. There is no error msg in syslog.log
3. I see a msg as "Reboot after panic: Spinlock deadlock!" in /etc/shutdownlog.
4. i have checked dmesg there is no ERROR

Please let me know what could be the reason. The server is now fine.
4 REPLIES 4
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

sounds like this is your first time seeing the spinlock deadlock kernel panic. Get ready for more. Not too often anymore on the more modern versions of the hpux but 11.0 and predecessors are more vulnerable to this error.

It is basically telling you that kernel fall into an unresolvable conflict for the lack of a better term and there was no way out of it. So the watchdog initiated a panic and crash dump.

You can send your crash dump to HP to be analyzed, but 11.0 being out of support for a while, I am not sure if they provide this service and even if they do, it might cost you a pretty penny. Consider going to a newer version of hpux if you can

Thanks Mel,
Ya you are correct. There was a crash dump created but dew to lack of space it was not completly created.
So is it a kernal panic that has happned on this server?? can anymore details be collected??
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If your server are AMC with HP then log a call with hp and let them find out why this server got panic reboot.

apart from crash dump you have ts99 file under /var/tombstones directory.

Suraj

Your OS is out of support - the most anyone at HP is going to tell you (unless you want to hand over serious $$$) is to patch up to the absolute latest level available for 11.00

For that you should ensure you have the final patch bundle for 11.00:

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/releasePage.do?BC=main|releaseIndexPage|&releaseId=5013-2091

and then probably run a patch assessment as well:

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/assessSystemsPage.do?BC=main|

If you have all those patches installed you have as much as is possible to fix in 11.00. For any reminaing problems which cannot be attributed to hardware (and "Reboot after panic: Spinlock deadlock!" is not a hardware panic message) you would be asked to consider upgrading to a supported OS.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo