4043 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

server space issue, out of memory issue

Fauziah Mahdan
Super Advisor

server space issue, out of memory issue

Hi all, Need an opinion here.
I have A500 machine isntall with hpux 11.00 with 10Gb hd which is fully allocated to vg00. Only left 4MB free space.
1Gb RAM and installed oracle 9i DB.
We received and error as out of memory when try to run nickel file during db is up.
When db healthcheck run found that free tablespace is only 1MB free.
So we drop 2 unused table and allocate to this tablespace with current freespace 500MB.

My question is, if I just to buy another 10Ghd and slot in to the server and assigned to this vg00 will it cater the hd and memory issue?

Pls advice
Fauziah Mahdan
2 REPLIES 2
nanan
Trusted Contributor

Re: server space issue, out of memory issue

Hi Fauziah
Why don't you divide the area of DB and OS
If you afford to buy and add more Hds it may be better to seperate the data portion and OS.

Regards
nanan
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: server space issue, out of memory issue

Conceivably, yes. Another 10GiB of disk will certainly help your disk shortage although you may need to add some datafiles to actually increase your database sizes. More disk would also allow you to create more swap space and thus increase total virtual memory and because HP-UX is a virtual memory system, the amount of physical memory has little to do with how many processes will actually run on your box. However, the amount of physical memory has a temendous impact upon how fast these proceeses on your box will run. So basically the answer is if you are low on memory and low on disk then you need more of each. It is possible that your box is badly tuned (eg, the buffer cache is much too large) but 1GiB is considered a tiny amount of memory these days to run even a modest database. I would also be on you like white on rice for using vg00 for anything other than the OS but that's another story.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.