1748010 Members
4571 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: shared disk configuration for redhat cluster

Umesh chandra
Occasional Advisor

shared disk configuration for redhat cluster

I am trying to configure shared disk system for Redhat cluster.
Is is possible to terminate two host adapter cards on each other and use the disks attached on them for shared storage.
If yes how?

Thanks in advance for your help.

UCG
2 REPLIES 2
Serviceguard for Linux
Honored Contributor

If you terminate the SCSI busses on each of the adapter cards, then there is a possiblity that the SCSI bus will be unterminated at some times. It is highly dependent on the design of the shared storage box and the HBA.

Consider the case of power loss on one system. The HBA in that system needs to allow its terminator to be powered by the remaining system. Even in that case, you cannot remove the failed system from the SCSI bus without taking down the cluster.

Some shared storage systems will auto-terminate when the termination power is lost from the system attached to that side. There are very few of these storage systems that I am aware of.

When looking at the RedHat cluster, check carefully the requirements for STONITH.
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

I recommend you to read "The RedHat Cluster Manager Installation and Administration Guide"

See 2.1.1 for "Shared Storage Requerements":

multi-initiator SCSI configurations using standard adapters are not supported.

Single-initiator parallel
SCSI buses, connected to multi-ported storage devices, or Fibre Channel, are required.