108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: slow performance of the server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>Can it be a problem with device drivers??

This will be a problem solved with OS upgrade.
Installing/compiling new drivers on the same OS would require updating some of the system libraries and you will only loose time.

You can also try to install a newer kernel.

But again, my first choice would be to upgrade the OS.

Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
Sunny Jaisinghani
Trusted Contributor

unfortunately i don't have a support contract with Red Hat.
So getting a new kernel would be difficult.

The current level is 2.4.21-9.ELsmp

Is there any other source from where i can get kernel update? which i can rely on
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

According to http://www.kernel.org/,
the latest 2.4 version is 2.4.37.9.

You could try a

yum update kernel

Alternatively, if you have installed the development tools you could install the source and compile it by yourself as you like. In this case you would keep only what you would need in your system.

Horia.

Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
MarkSeger
Frequent Advisor
Solution

whenever I'm having performance issues my very first thing to do is run collectl either as a daemon on in another window and watch what's going on during your times of trouble to try and pin down which resource(s) you're being starved on. Is it disk? cpu? network? memory? With collectl you can watch all 4 while you're doing your query, though since by default (to limit the display to 80 columns) it only shows cpu, disk and network. To see all 4, just add memory to the display (if it will fit) by running the command:

collectl -s+m

Only after you determine WHICH resource is having issues can you take the next step of trying to fix the problem.

-mark
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

"HDD Data tx rate" - did you test this from your application or just by some copy command?

As masny others, I suggest you to upgrade your OS. You can either upgrade to RHEL/CENTOS 5 or upgrade RHEL3 to the latest update level using CENTOS repositories.
I don't think that hardware is a problem in this case.