Operating System - HP-UX
1751840 Members
5355 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: smh access through browser issue on 11iv3 (plz help)

meekrob
Super Advisor

smh access through browser issue on 11iv3 (plz help)

Hi All,

if anyone can help me please in the issue that im facing:

in fact, when accessing SMH on an 11iv3 box by typing:

http://[server's ip address]:2301      and when i need to get some info through tools tab or others. im getting the below output:

ERROR: TERM is unset

ERROR: TERM is unset, expecting TERM as input but encountered end-of-life

kindly note that i already installed CDE and related dependencies and set the xfs font server.

In addition, even i could not access through x manager software which is not the case on 11iv1 or v2 boxes.

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but I am a bit confused...

>when accessing SMH on an 11iv3 box by typing:

>http://[server's ip address]:2301      

Are you trying to access SMH from a web browser?  A browser on the server itself or from another system such as your desktop?  If so, are you able to access the SMH page and login?

> and when i need to get some info through tools tab or others. im getting the below

> output:

> ERROR: TERM is unset

> ERROR: TERM is unset, expecting TERM as input but encountered end-of-life

Where are you seeing these errors?

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
meekrob
Super Advisor

Hello Robert and many thanks for your reply,

indeed im trying to access smh from my laptop on the same subnet with the server by typing:

http://server's_ip_address:2301

in fact,im getting the login prompt and im accessing without problems using the "root" account however,

and for example when i select the "Tools" tab -> under "Network services configuration" -> when i select "Name service switch" -> Run -> imgetting the below error at the bottom of the smh webpage:

ERROR: TERM is unset

ERROR: TERM is unset, expecting TERM as input but encountered end-of-life

Note that i could not try to access the browser on the server itself as i was not able to use x manager which is closing without scanning (xdmcp broadcast) the 11iv3 box.

Regards

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I see...

SMH calls the SAM utility to run this.  In this case SMH is trying to run the SAM GUI which will require an X display service on your laptop.  From your original post it seems that you may have this and it works on other systems.

That should provide a clue as to why this is not working.  If you are not able to establish an X session on this server, then that needs to be fixed before you can use SMH in this fashion.

From the error it seems like there may be an issue with your root profile.

Login as root from a terminal and run # echo $TERM to show what the TERM value is being set to.

Alternatively, you can use SHM from command line, just run 'smh' from the command prompt.  Your TERM value will need to be set properly though.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
meekrob
Super Advisor

yes indeed i do have an x display service running on my laptop and that works fine with other servers. i also tried to set TERM to vt100 or hpterm using export command without success. so in your opinion which value should i set TERM to?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: SMH access through browser issue on 11.31

>which value should I set TERM to?

Try xterm or dtterm?