6287 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: sms - distribution problems

Eduardo Ligeiro
Valued Contributor

sms - distribution problems

dear friends ...

i have an sms server ( named DTSMSSEDE ).

the problem is :

as the client is logged onto any domain, i am able to add this client to the sms server.

but i have many clients that although in network, they don't log onto any domain.

when in these machines i try to load smsman /S DTSMSSEDE, the client tells me it didn,t find ANY sms server.

how can i solve this ?? any idea will be welcome.

:) if u know anyone who has already experienced an sms installation, pls send my question to him/her.

thks in advance
There's nothing a computer can do a man can't think
4 REPLIES 4
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

The basic idea of SMS (and more generally of Microsoft networking) is to have central directory of user and other accounts (nt domain or active directory). Without trust relations between client computers and users domain SMS does not have appropriate rights to execute jobs on client computers and there is no logon script which can automatically start jobs when users logon. So, in order to properly implement SMS your users must logon to domain and their workstations (NT and win200) must be members of domain.
Eduardo Ligeiro
Valued Contributor

Thanks dear Enes.

But i need to learn a way to "manage" machines which are not logged onto any domain, because it's the customer topology.

He has many win98 computers which access RISC-SERVERS resources via telnet. the don't log onto any windows/netware domain.

thks for help, but i still need more info :)
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

You have to say to your customer that logon to domain is prerequisite for using SMS. If they do not want it they can not use SMS and have to find another solution.
I recommend checking OpenView web site for some desktop administration products which may work without domain logon. HP had products called Desktop Administrator and Software Distributor for Windows workstation. A few years ago they changed this product line. There is a different name for products with such a funcionality. I do not remember the new name of products but I think it easily to find.
Eduardo Ligeiro
Valued Contributor

THKS dear Enes ...

i've already worked with DTA and the new product name is Radia.

thks about information for SMS