Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sorting

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leslie Chaim
Regular Advisor

sorting

Hi,

I am trying to sort the output of a given command. However, I wish to exclude the first 3 lines from the sort.

Is there an elegant way of doing this without going through the hassle of temporary files?

currently I use something like this:

my_app $* > /tmp/my_app.$$
head -2 /tmp/my_app.$$
sed -n '3,$p' /tmp/my_app.$$ | sort
rm /tmp/my_app.$$

I am wondering if there is something more elegant

Thanks,

If life serves you lemons, make lemonade
5 REPLIES
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: sorting

Leslie:

Try:

# my_app | awk 'NR > 3 {print $0}' | sort

...JRF...
Leslie Chaim
Regular Advisor

JRF,

I want to include in the output the top 3 lines. Your solution exlucdes the top lines from the output,
Madhu Sudhan_1
Respected Contributor

Try this way
# my_app | awk 'NR <= 3 {print $0}' >only_one_file

## my_app | awk 'NR > 3 {print $0}' | sort -o only_one_file

This way you have only one file created at any time.

Regards,
Madhu
Think Positive
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Leslie:

OK, I assume you want to take the output of your process and sort it, but you do not want to include the first three lines of output in the sort -- as in the case of a table with a header. Therefore, consider this example:

Given a file that looks like:

1a
2b
3c
4c
5e
6f
7g

# cat my_file|awk '{if (NR <=3) {print $0} else {print $0|"sort -r"}}'

would produce output ordered:

1a
2b
3c
7g
6f
5e
4d

No temporary files would be used; the first three lines would pass "unsorted", and in this example (clearly) the remaining lines would be sorted (here in reverse).

...JRF...
Leslie Chaim
Regular Advisor

JRF,

That does solve my problem. I am just wondering how does awk pass the data to the sort command?