New Discussion юеВ

source code

shyam singh bisht
Occasional Advisor

source code

Hi! all
I am new to linux & I need some help.
I have installed RedHat linux 8.0.

now when i downloaded the mozilla firefox for linux & tried to install it ,it gives the error 'glibc-2.3.5 required'.
I downloaded glibc-2.3.5 , now to install it i have to configure & make it.

please suggest how to configure & make this to upgrade the glibc.

any guide on installing softwares like this will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Shyam
10 REPLIES 10
Chakravarthi
Trusted Contributor

Re: source code

Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

RedHat 8.0 is a very old version. I suggest you to download Fedora Core 3. You'll have different problems with different new applications, because the libraries are just too old on your box.

Here you can obtain it:
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/

Alex.
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)
renarios
Trusted Contributor

Hi Shyam,

Listen to Alex and forget the old Linux versions. Fedora Core 3 is the latest stable version ans Core 4 is in Beta. Mozilla is part of these distributions.
Also, my experience is that yum works better on Fedora.
Nothing is more successfull as failure
Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor

If u downloaded the source code, you can install it using configure, make , make install commands.
First unzip or untar the source code to some directory , cd to that directory , issue the following commands .
1. ./configure
2. make
3. make install
this will install with glibc with default option . ( this procedure is mostly same for all the source code downloads , also there will be a "Readme" or INSTALL file in the extracted directory where u will get more information )
But i dont think that glibc.2.3.5 will get installed in redhat 8.0 . if u downloaded the rpm , it is sure that it will complain about some dependencies and install will fail.
Be Always Joy ......
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

if for some reason u want to stick with RH 8.0 then download glibc source and do ./configure, make and make install after extracting the source.

but RH already dropped support for RH 8.0 and the best bet would be to use FC 3.0 which is free and contains latest versions of all greatest applications.
Never Never Never Giveup
David Asgeirsson
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have an old HP Pavilion with RH 8.0 installed on it, and I can still run the latest version of Firefox (1.03) without any trouble. I only have glibc 2.3.2-4.80.8 which was an RPM install for me, fixing a security hole. If you try to download Firefox (and Thunderbird!) from the mozilla.org website, it should automatically give you the correct version of the program to install. That might be faster and easier than upgrading the OS, especially if you have an old computer, and don't need newer libraries for anything.

- Dave
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

Shyam,

I just want to join those who said Time to Upgrade! Red Hat does not produce ANY patches for the numbered versions. From security standpoint you should upgrade ASAP.

Regards,
Ross
Girish Shetty

Hi all,

From where can I down load glibc source code?

Thanks
Girish
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/ would be the home page.
One long-haired git at your service...