Re: ssh not populating known_host file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

OK..here goes:

For those who may hit this some day.
Secure Shell (ssd) version 4.50 does not populate known_hosts file as Stephen mentions. Closest version that works 4.40

FYI...that pesky chroot issue shows up after 4.20 version and is still there at ver 5.10. I don't know what version they ever got that fixed yet.

With that said. Went on testbox and downgraded to v4.40 and now it would populate the known_host for me. But still was having issue in both directions where the passwd prompt kept coming up. Then, because the Windows guy wouldn't give me that accounts password, he was handling doing the 'ftp' of the id_rsa.pub files. I didn't care if UNIX created them or Windows generated the key. What I discovered was, since he was doing this from his laptop, the files got corrupted in the transfer. When I watched him close and asked to type 'binary' before he 'puts' the file over...voila a measure of success. He ftp'd in binary the file to my UNIX box he generated and I set it in the authorized_keys file also. Now he could connected passwordless to the UNIX box. But UNIX could not do a passwordless connection to Windows. We looked at a couple setting on the Windows ssh_config files and noticed there are setting he should change to make it possible for passwordless. So once he makes those changes we can go both ways.

For now...I don't care cause for production I only need for him to move the files TO UNIX, so I'll just test for return connectivity another time and get that resolved. I'm working the way I need...

Hope my ramblings made some sense.
My issue is fixed and I thank you all for your contributions. They really did help!

Points a comin!
Rita
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

THREAD CLOSED