debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_3.6.1p2
debug1: private host key: #0 type 0 RSA1
debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
debug1: private host key: #1 type 1 RSA
debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
debug1: private host key: #2 type 2 DSA
socket: Address family not supported by protocol
debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use.
Cannot bind any address.
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

Re: ssh without password

when you're troubleshooting ssh to use public/private key pair for auth, use 'ssh -vvv -o PreferredAuthentications=public' option. This might help.

I would also double check a few params in the sshd_config file.

PermitRootLogin yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys

To me, it seems like there is something not enabled on the server side.... like PubkeyAuth.

Hope this helps,
-denver
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

Also, at the time of the failure... look at the syslog for sshd messages. If there is a permissions problem with the suse's root ~/.ssh there should be something logged on the server side.

I also noticed your ssh debug output on the client didn't offer the private key either. Since you stated it works fine between RH client to RH server but fails from RH client to SuSE serve, I'd look at the sshd_config on the SuSE box. What's different between the RH server and SuSE server's sshd_config file?

-denver
Dave Falloon
Trusted Contributor

Is it just asking for the passphrase for your private key?

Try using ssh-agent to hold the key for a session, it means you'll have to have the agent be the parent to whatever process you are running, ie. if you want to have password less ssh sessions anytime you open an Xterm, you'll want ssh-agent to be the parent process of your xsession, that way you only have to run ssh-add once for the key to be loaded for all your sessions.

or is the problem that ssh is reverting to password auth?

--Dave
Clothes make the man, Naked people have little to no effect on society
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Andrea, from what I've seen - the file name is "authorized_keys2" for an rsa key. Try that out and see if it fixes your problem. Also, I've had lots of luck tightening down on the permissions for .ssh directory and all files within with no loss of connectivity. Try ratcheting down the security after you've got it working...
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Rene Sasse
Occasional Contributor

pls have also a look into the /var/log/messages, /var/log/secure and auth.log
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

When you installed SSH is it running as user sshd, if so does it have permissions to your home directory?

The other common problem when keys are rejected is if there are line breaks within the keystring in "authorized_hosts". Check this by editing the file in vi and running the cursor along the line, or pressing $ to find the end.

Gerard_22

I had a "permssion denied" problem recently

The solution was

--> Directory .ssh must be
drwx------

--> file .ssh/authorized_keys
must be -rw-------

G├Г┬йrar
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

This is pretty much what I was asking here to check. You can prove this by setting "strictmode no" in the sshd_config and restarting the daemon.
ANDREA_6
Frequent Advisor

Thank's a lot,
i solved the problem.

I changed my configurations in sshd_config using only ssh 2...
"Protocol 2"

At the beginning it was configured to use protocol 2 and 1.. but the network is very slow..
It's possible that without an immediate answer, the client tryed to use ssh1.. and maybe it doesn't work fine because the client have an old versin of ssh..

Best regards,Andrea.