/stand ??

Could somebody tell me what kind of the file
system for /stand ? Thanks!
Hero
2 REPLIES 2
Robert Thorneycroft
Valued Contributor

Re: /stand ??

Should this be an HP-UX question or Linux?

If Linux:
Do not bother creating a /stand filesystem as it is not used, the closest thing on a Linux box is /boot however it is not necessary to have this as a separate filesystem on your system.

If you do create this as a seperate filesystem I would just recommend making it your favourite journalled filesystem that is by default included in your distributions kernel.

I would strongly recommend against choosing any kind of filesystem not included in your kernel by default as recovery WILL become a complete pain if you run into any problems.

If HP-UX:
I believe that it is still the case that /stand has to be hfs (At least this was true up to and including HP-UX 11.00). You cannot select vxfs as it is not available at the stage in the boot process where the filesystem has to be mounted.

Kind regards,

Robert Thorneycroft
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Re: /stand ??

Hi,

/stand m-u-s-t be hfs for a reason that is easy to understand : the hp-ux boot loader is a very small code, and its functionality is limited to the minimum. Therefore, it searches for the first logical volume on the boot device, and tries to decode it as a HFS filesystem. In this filesystem, it searches for vmunix and boots the kernel.

To summarize : /stand must be HFS and also must be the first lvol of the boot disk.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...