5734 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

substring builtin in ksh

Javier Gutierrez
Occasional Contributor

substring builtin in ksh

Hi,

Do you know if there is builtin substring funtion under ksh (Solaris version this time)?
9 REPLIES 9
Andreas Voss
Honored Contributor

Re: substring builtin in ksh

Hi,

i know no substring function in ksh but you can use awk for this ie:

var="fullstring"
sub=$(echo $var|awk '{print substr($0,5,3)}')

will set sub to "str"

Regards
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Standard ksh doesn't have a substring feature but you can use the following construct to manipulate strings...

(From man sh-posix)

${parameter#pattern}
${parameter##pattern}
If the shell pattern matches the beginning of the value of parameter, the value of this substitution is the value of the parameter with the matched portion deleted; otherwise, the value of this parameter is substituted. In the former case, the smallest matching pattern is deleted; in the latter case, the largest matching pattern is deleted. These characters # or % should be escaped by a backslash (\) or quotes ('').

${parameter%pattern}
${parameter%%pattern}
If the shell pattern matches the end of the value of parameter, the value of parameter with the matched part is deleted; otherwise, substitute the value of parameter. In the former, the smallest matching pattern is deleted; in the latter, the largest matching pattern is deleted. These characters # or % should be escaped by a backslash (\) or quotes ('').

Regards,
John
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

I don't know sucha function but you may build your own, such as :
#!/bin/sh

# substr

if [ $# -ne 3 ]; then
exit 2
fi
lg=$(( $2 + $3 - 1 ))
echo $1 | cut -c$2-$lg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
oudartj:/home/oudartj/k1 $ substr abcdef 3 2
cd

Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Javier Gutierrez
Occasional Contributor

Guys thank you very much.

I know that in linux you can do with variables just:
> a=example
> echo ${a:0:2}
exa

I didn't want to use awk and cut, just to optimize and do it faster, but I can see there is no other way.

Thank you so much.

Christophe MAILHE
Frequent Advisor

Hi Javier,

This functionality appears in ksh version newer than 11/16/88.

Unfortunately, the standard ksh version in HP-UX is 11/16/88 and so does include the latest ksh enhancement.

However sh-posix include a few , but not all of these.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

While certainly not as conservative as a shell built-in you could use:

# expr substr expr1 expr2 expr3

This takes the substring expr1, starting at expr2 for the length given by expr3.

See the man pages for 'expr'.

Regards!

...JRF...
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Javier,

You said:

I didn't want to use awk and cut, just to optimize and do it faster, but I can see there is no other way.

Are you kidding me??

awk is a thousand (maybe a little exaggeration) times faster than ksh could ever imagine being.

And if you are serious about doing any kind of string parsing you should use either awk or better yet: perl!!!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
monica dastous

Hi,
I'm trying to do a similar thing. I have the string:
" N SAS Shared Components" Notice the spaces. I need to substring from 0-14 15-26 27-48. I tried the command above, but it starts with the first non-blank character (N). Any suggestions?
Thanks,
MOnica
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

as mr mailhe points out /usr/bin/ksh in hp-ux is the 88 version, which doesn't include the majority of enhancements that are in the 93 version.

but, quite a few of the 93 enhancements are included in /usr/dt/bin/dtksh. using this shell you will be able to do a substring using an offset and length.

monica, your probably better off using the cut command.