Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching off a HP Pavilion k834.de

Jörg Grimm
Occasional Visitor

switching off a HP Pavilion k834.de

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with a Pavilion k834 Desktop PC running Suse Linux 9.3 in a 64 bit Version.

The System works very fast and prperly - but switching off the system makes problems....

The system is going down but i can't start it again (system hangs running the system van maximum) - To reboot the system I have to disconnect it from power. I guess it is a problem with the acpi.

Any answeres??

Thank you

Joerg
3 REPLIES
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: switching off a HP Pavilion k834.de

Not really a solution, but most HP systems allow you to press/hold the power-button for 10s or so to do a similar thing.

As for possible apci problems.. have you tried the bootstring 'noapci' ?
One long-haired git at your service...
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by machine hanging? If the system is not equipped with ACPI or if the SUSE does not have ACPI support then whenever you powerdown the machine, it will come and halt at the console with 'Power Down' message.

This means that system is actually down, but kernel could not power off the machine because it is not able to give ACPI power off request.

Please let us know is this the case? if so, the solution to this is most probably that ACPI is turned off in BIOS of Pavilion k834. You may have to turn it on to get it working.

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Jörg Grimm
Occasional Visitor

Hi - the system has ACPI support and acpi is switched on.

Suse support gave me the "Tip" to boot with the options "acpi=off" or "PCI=noacpi" or "acpi=oldboot" or "acpi=force". None of the boot options solved the problem.

With acpi=oldboot or acpi=force there was no change. pci=noacpi and acpi=off made the system hanging while booting the sata driver :(

Joerg