1753447 Members
4984 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

syslog message "mount request: realpath failed"

Mark Malko
Occasional Advisor

syslog message "mount request: realpath failed"

We recently upgraded one of our NAS storage devices to a VA7400, attached to an L class server, and using it as a NFS server. I now see the following messages in my syslog:
syslog: mount request: realpath failed on: /home/packages: No such file or directory

I know i do not have a /home/packages, but i cannot figure out which host is generating this request (possibly 100 hosts). I have tried to turn on debugging and more information on the syslog daemon but i do not seem to get any more information.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to how go about debugging this problem?

thanks
mark
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: syslog message "mount request: realpath failed"

Mark,

You using automount? If so, check the configuration files.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Mark Malko
Occasional Advisor

Automount is NOT on this particular server. However, there are numerous clients that do have it turned on. I do not have access to ALL unix/nt boxes that may request mounts for this machine. This is why i am trying to figure out where the request is coming from, so i can hunt down the appropriate people.

harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

How about these stabs:

look in /etc/fstab, /etc/exports, and /etc/ftpd/ftpaccess.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Mark Malko
Occasional Advisor

Harry: there is nothing in those files either. The NAS sheltered us from a lot of errors and woes. Now that we are on a REAL server using nfs, issues are popping up. The /home/packages is only 1 entry. There are more weird mount requests that are failing. I honestly suspect auto_mount but i still need to try and pin point as to where these requests are coming from.

thanks
mark