1753865 Members
7516 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: system checks

Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

What kind of environment are you working with?
Do you have Oracle? What other apps?

Check the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log, do the dmesg command, check your filesystems to make sure space is OK. Any clusters in use? Check using the command 'cmviewcl -v'.

The utility cfg2html is good for providing a lot of this info.

Do you have EMS setup? This can keep tabs for you and alert you if something is not right.

John E.Ophious
Regular Advisor

G'day Mate,

All sorts of stuff!

File systems (bdf/df -k), mount points, syslog, any other logs for specific programs, backup logs... the list could go on and on.

If you have a significant amount of systems, developing a monitoring tool can be really useful. We're using one that is a huge gui with all systems listed. We monitor if they're up or down (using ping), mount points, syslog, file system sizes, licensing information, sar info.. anything we want really. Just make a list of everything you check and put it in a monitoring tool.. they're pretty easily available!

Take it easy partner,

John E. Ophious
Ravinder Singh Gill
Regular Advisor

The server is a Unix server on which many processes run and some databases are housed. However the database teams look after their own stuff. My team is simply responsible for the system in general. We do have NSM monitoring etc however I have been advised that I should be performing regular checks of my own ie checking syslog and the disks etc so that we can catch any faults before they may arise or before the alerts are raised. I know I can check syslog and bdf etc. I will not be allowed to implement any further tools as we already have monitoring in place. I was just wondering in general when checking the system myself where I should be looking ie apart from syslog and what I should be looking for. For example I was told by doing checks we may notice a disk is faulty/about to fail before it actually fails and thus prevent an incident. How would I check for this?

Thanks for your help guys
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

dmesg loops so if you have a persistant problem it might overwrite other messages, to avoid missing messages put an entry like this in your crontab.

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /usr/sbin/dmesg - >> /var/adm/messages

That way you'll have all your dmesg messages there as well.