Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tail -f question

JIM NIU
Occasional Contributor

tail -f question

Anyone knows how to use "tail -f" to monitor a shell session? Had this situation while back when a support center guy dialed in to my system and he had me do a tail -f against some special file. I can see exactly what he typed in, backspace, etc. Man page mentioned about FIFO but no example. Any feedback will be apprecaited.

Jim
4 REPLIES
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

Re: tail -f question

Possibly you started a "script" session (see man script) and then tail -f typescript can be used to see the output from the session.

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
Misa
Frequent Advisor

This isn't going to be tons of help, but hopefully some.

You can find all your FIFOs (named pipes) with:
find / -type p

But I went through this on an idle system and didn't see anything worthwhile.

I can think of several hints: first, there is an option you can use on an xterm window to save the entire session to a file. I'm not finding it right off the bat, but I know this used to work. But I suspect that wasn't it.

I tried looking at my own tty file (from a different window) and that seemed useless. (Find it with tty command...)

I'm wondering if he had you access the modem port's file (something like /dev/ttyd1p0; your mileage will vary) or possible some special file associated with the diagnostics.

Can you ask him or pull up the call log? ;)

--M????a
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

was it .sh_history ??

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Pierce Byrne_1
Frequent Advisor

I suspect as well that when he logged in he ran - script filename
you then where able to tail -f filename which is a log of everything typed. Useful for keeping an eye on 3rd parties dialled in for support.