108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

tape backups

SOLVED
Go to solution
Josh_13
Super Advisor

tape backups

i have an hp surestore 12000e that i am trying to hook up to a d9000 series 370 running hpux 11i. when i tried placing it on the SCSI port to see if the drivers were part of the OE, it ditched the cdrom and never found the tape drive. i have since taked it off and gotten it to ind the cdrom, but it still won't actually let me mount the cdrom.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this so that i have both the cdrom and the tape drive working? (the drive came with a disk that is labelled as drivers for the device)
11 REPLIES 11
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Re: tape backups

hey,

Check out whether the SCSI id is conflicting or not?

Do an 'ioscan -fn' to find out the detected devices!

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Mike Hassell
Respected Contributor

Josh,

Determine the SCSI id of the tape drive to ensure it isn't the same as the CD-ROM. I'm not familar with the 12000i tape drive, but I imagine that there is an ID selector on the device itself, either a push button or some dip switches. Take a look at the device and try chaning the SCSI ID to an unused SCSI ID. To determine if the tape drive is active use:

ioscan -funC tape

If it shows as "CLAIMED" you should be set, chances are they are both (CD-ROM and tape device) set to use the same SCSI ID. Are you attaching the tape drive off the Core I/O SCSI port? or another SCSI card? You should be able to mount the CD-ROM after you've removed the tape device and rebooted if their SCSI ids were conflicting. Check to make sure you're trying to mount the proper device file:

ioscan -funC disk

Hope that helps a bit.

-Mike
The network is the computer, yeah I stole it from Sun, so what?
Josh_13
Super Advisor

Shiju Wilson -

right now it detects the cd-rom when i do that. the tape drive is not hooked up and the cd-rom didn't mount when i ran the mount command. it was set up to mount upon bootup, but that doesn't work either. it's just an empty directory now.

do you know of a way to find the cd-rom scsi id? i opened the box to see if i could find it, but the way the tower is constructed i'd have physically remove the cdrom to tell that and i fear it not ever seeing it again if i try that after the response to the tape drive.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Josh:

Do an ioscan -C disk -fn.

Look for the CD-ROM and note its hardware path.
You mighr see something like 10/12/5.2.0 or 10/0.12.0. In general, the number before the last zero is the SCSI target ID. In these cases 2 and 12.

The problem you observed has conflicting SCSI addresses written all over it OR improper termination OR (God forbid) you have mixed differental and single-ended devices on the same bus.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Josh,

try this:

1) for physically find out the SCSI id, u have to look in to the jumber settings. The setting's diagram will be shown on the top of the CD drive/in manual.
2) If the CD drive is connected to the server, then while system boots, give "sea" command at the Console menu, which will look for all drives connected. The CD drive will be shown as "sequential access device"
3) If the server is online now, then give "ioscan -fnC disk" and look for any CDROM devices.
4) Try connecting one device at a time and look for the SCSI id by using any one of the above step.

Shiju
Josh_13
Super Advisor

the box i'm reconfiguring has been in the department (and possibly the school) longer than i, so the specs are something i sometimes have trouble chasing down.

the cdrom seems to be generic. i can't find any name, not even HP (i expected to see that on there since they made the thing, but...).

the target path of the cd-rom is: 8/16/5.2.0
when the tape drive was hooked up it had things listed from 8/16/5.1.0 to 8/16/5.6.0

however, from what i read i expect that 2 is the scsi id for the cdrom, and i had set the tape drive to 5 for the address and 6 for the options. so this makes me wonder what happened and where all the extra came from when it was on. the tape drive is connected with an hp cord on the built-in scsi port rather than a add on card. the cd is apparently on the same path.

should i assume Clay's last possibility and switch the tape to one of the cards that i left in when given the device to reconfigure? (it had three cards added previously and was connected to a multitude of back-up drives. but it was running 10.02 (yes, 10.02, not 10.20) and i did a clean install of 11i onto a new harddrive i had been given for it. when 11i has been configured we're going to see if there's anything needed on the other two hard drives)
Helen French
Honored Contributor

hey,

try connecting on a different card/bus if u have one free !

Shiju
Josh_13
Super Advisor

hey,

try connecting on a different card/bus if u have one free !

Shiju

looking for an adapter to do that with.
will report back when we get that and try it, but that might not be til wed because i have to go to class shortly and then don't work tomorrow becuase of classes.
Josh_13
Super Advisor

ok. i now have the tape drive (sure store 12000e, 6 tape stack) as a device the hardware and software see. however, commands to read from it are not working.

any suggestions?