New Discussion юеВ

tape drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

tape drive

Dear All

i have connect dlt tape drive to my linux 9 system (to scsi cable), i want to know if the system can detect the tape drive by itself , else what should i do for that ,wating for your help

Regards Fadia

fadia.marei
8 REPLIES 8
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: tape drive

Fadia,

If you boot your system at the first boot, Linux is designed in a way to detect the hardware and configure accordingly. This is mostly true for all cases where the devices are supported by Linux and you can check the devices supported at http://www.redhat.com

If this doesn't happen, then i would suggest that you check the following

1. Check your hardware vendor's site for Linux drivers and install instructions.

If none of the things listed above work for you, which is highly unlikely, then you can create drivers yourself. Try exploring http://www.tldp.org and search for information on how to build drivers.

Let us know, how things go for you.

rgds
Mobeen

KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

I think the kernel has a driver for it and it should get detected by itself !

Why don't you confirm with "lsdev"

Regds,

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
V.Tamilvanan
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Defaultly Linux Machines should autosense and configure the Tape driver into the kernel when it is booting.
You can check whether the tape is configured by using dmesg or seeing /var/log/messages file.
If not you need check with the vendor.
Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

hi all

when i repote my system it detect the scsi tape drive as /dev/st0 , but when i do abcup for a small test file it gives me the following error message
"tst
tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now"
what shull i do for that
thanks in advance
fadia.marei
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Is it a single tape drive, or a library (one drive and multiple tape slots). In this last case, /dev/st0 might be the library device (to mount tape), and there is another device (probably /dev/st1) for the drive.

If it is a single tape drive, have you done a mt -f /dev/st0 load before trying to write on it ?
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Muhammad Asif Anwar
Occasional Contributor

Similar kind of problem where my Linux, after the reinstallation, is unable to detect the DLT tape drive. The drive was working fine before the installation. But after the reinstallation of server, Linux did not detect the DLT tape drive.

Please help.

Regards and thanks,

Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor
Solution

dear mohammad

my problem was resolved i reboot my system and simply the dlt tape drive was detected , so just reboot your system and to check that it is work ,use
dmesg | grep dlt :and you will see the result
or
mt -f /dev/st0 status : and you will see that it is work

BR,
Fadia
fadia.marei
priscillav

Hi
I am connecting a HP surestore DLT tape library using a SCSI drive. I have installed Redhat linux 9.1. Redhat detects the Drive but not the library. It doesn't detect any DLTs. Kindly help.

Regards
Priscilla Vincent