108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tar crashed oracle

SOLVED
Go to solution
CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

tar crashed oracle

I was doing a tar on my controlfiles and redo logs (as a test) while the database was running. It caused the database to crash. The alert log mentions a corrupt block relative... and so on. My question about TAR - does unix do something with the file during the TAR process that prevents Oracle from using the file? Just curious. We are using fbackup/frestore, but are looking at tar to do some incrementals.
19 REPLIES 19
Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

I appears that tar "locked" the control file. tar was never meant to be a "open file" backup solution.

Regards,

RZ
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

As far as I know tar does not lock a file. It just reads it.

I was tar'ing up some files today and had a file change size while I was tar'ing it.

I would not really suspect tar. I suspect it may have just been a case of bad timing.
Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

Good info Patrick

Was the file that changed bin or ascii? I can see tar handling an ascii file on the fly, bin is another story.

Just my 2 cents.

RZ
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

It was an binary file. In fact it was one of Measurewares data files in /var/opt/perf/datafiles/log*.

Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

Ah, the myteries of Oracle ;)~
Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

The plot thickens.. An oracle control file changes each time time SCN (transaction) number changes, this could be nanoseconds. The files in the perf directory changes based on the time you set for data collection, i.e. 5, 10.

Just my 2 cents once again,

Regards,

RZ
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

That is true. I would still wonder if tar is the culprit here though.

I would be tempted to do a 'dd' on the disk that the LV is part of and see what happens. If it completes successfully, then maybe tar did do it. If not, you've got a disk going bad, which what I suspect.
Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

Excellent point sir.
Stan_17
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Just curious, why would you want to backup redo logs when the databases are open. never backup online redologs during hotbackup, cuz you might restore the backed up redolog file on top of current redolog thereby losing all the redo's that are not yet archived or not being checkpointed and you end up in-complete recoveries.

do not tar controlfiles too...use 'alter database backup controlfile to backup_location;' also, have ascii version of it 'alter database backup controlfile to trace;'

Stan