108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: telnetd: /usr/bin/login: No such file or directory

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephanie L Davenport
Frequent Advisor

telnetd: /usr/bin/login: No such file or directory

EMC did a code upgrade this weekend and since then have had some weird issues. One of the machines (11.11) is not allowing logins. I thought it was just telnet (the error is in the subject) but, I can't log in from the console, either. After I type "root" it just brings me back to the login prompt again.

I was going to reboot the server to single user mode (hard reboot) but, don't know what to look for once I do that. Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

> EMC did a code upgrade
I assume they worked on the EMC arrays. Did they touch the servers at all? This is a server issue and has nothing to do with EMC arrays (unless EMC is managing your servers somehow...)
The "login" binary is missing somehow. You can't do much without it! The telnetd and rlogind use the login binary for their user authentication.You need to put it back either from backups or from another server. It may be easier to ftp it from another server while the server is still up.
Also if you have sshd running on this server, you can connect to it via ssh. ssh does not rely on the login binary for authentication.
Stephanie L Davenport
Frequent Advisor

That sounds like exactly what I need to do (ftp). Where would I find the login binary on another machine? :)
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is that file /usr/bin/login exist? Have anyone deleted or moved this file?

# ll /usr/bin/login
-r-sr-xr-x 1 root bin 53248 Dec 13 2005 /usr/bin/login
#

Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You need to ftp from /usr/bin from another server has the same os version.

Put it on same same location on this server too.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Another 11.11 server in your site? You can not find this binary alone online anywhere (except in a patch, see below). If you don't have another comparable server you have to restore it from tape.
Can you login to this server? You can work with patches as follows:
1. Get the swlist from this server and look at the latest login patch that is installed. Then download this same patch from HP and extract the login binary from the patch file. The patch file is a tar file. Then upload this login binary to the affected server. The binary file in the patch might be in gzip compressed format, you need to uncompress it. Check it with the "file" command.
2. You can copy the saved login binary from a previous patch installation. (if there is a saved patch). Go in /var/adm/sw and run a "find . -name login" and something like "./save/PHCO_XXXXX/UX_CORE/usr/bin/login" might come up. You can copy this file to /usr/bin/login. Note that this is a copy of an older UNPATCHED binary. It can get you back in the server, but you must replace the plder login binary with a patched copy soon after.
3. Install the latest login patch. This will replace the login binary. Not sure if the swinstall process will be affected by the missing login binary but you could try it.
Stephanie L Davenport
Frequent Advisor

TTr,

I was able to ftp the file from another server and can telnet. Thanks for your help!

The issue now is that nothing else will authenticate. I would restore my entire /usr/bin directory but, this server "is" my netbackup server and I can't log into the gui (and I don't know enough about netbackup to do it by the command line). Also, peoplesoft will not authenticate, either.

Anybody know what files are needed for programs like netbackup and peoplesoft to be able to authenticate?
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If multiple file corruption, you can consider to restore from ignite instead of repairing all the files.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Ensure that the permissions are as in GR's response above. See what else may be broken or missing on this server and compare it with another server. Any clues as what what caused this may be hints were to look for break/fixes. If the damage is widespread, you may need server recovery. The NB gui does not use the login binary.
Stephanie L Davenport
Frequent Advisor

Ignite is not loaded on this machine (or the other rp5470 with 11.11). So, I will continue to work on restoring everything that I can find... using ftp.

As far as I know, there are no backups of the device or lv information that is easily accessible. I think you guys have helped me as much as you possibly can.

Thanks for all your help!