108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: telnetd

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Note that npty and nstrpty (there is no nstrtel for 10.20) should be equal and set larger than the maximum number of simultaneous connections you'll ever have. But these params also require that a corresponding number of pty device files also be created. SAM will do this automatically, otheerwise, you'll need to create the device files with insf.

As far as an auto-shutdown to single user mode, there is nothing that can cause this in HP-UX. init s does not shutdown to single user mode, it only changes init's run state. I would look in your cron jobs to see if init is being scheduled for some reason.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
j773303
Super Advisor

insf -e -s 400

Note: The insf -e -s 400 command causes modem device types to be read-only, preventing modem communication.

Could someone tell me "-s 400" mean for?
Thanks!

Hero
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

-s nstrpty

Install nstrpty slave-side stream special files for the pts driver. nstrpty is a decimal number. This option only applies to the pts special file installation.

This option is effective only if the -e option is specified or if an appropriate device class or driver is specified with a -C or -d option.

If this option is omitted, nstrpty defaults to 60.

Hence -s 400 sets nstrpty to 400

hope this helps!

Best Regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
j773303
Super Advisor

When I look my machine
ll /dev/pty | wc -l
It shows 2010, why it is so many?
Should I increased nstrpty to 3000?
Hero
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Probably the count has gone up to 2000.
What is the value of npty and nstrpty on your kernel.

Probably you have to remove and re-install the device files.

The below document tells you how to do it.
YOu must remember that each pty device file uses 600 bytes of memory

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=500000000092211