108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

transfer data from old pc

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

transfer data from old pc

I have a new HP pavilion a6418f pc and have trouble tranferring the data from my old hard drive to the new one. The old hard drive is now in an external case because the Motherboard was fried.I did try the WET feature, but could not get it to work. I was able to copy and paste a few files from my docs, but not the programs files. I noticed the mention of a transfer cable in the instructions, do I still need that even though it shows up as an extra drive on the new pc? Any reply would be much appreciated
c'est la guerre
2 REPLIES 2
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: transfer data from old pc

WET was meant to allow transfer of data from one computer to another. It wasn't really meant for disk transfer.

The programs listed under "Program Files" will need to be re-installed.

Robocopy is a Resource Kit tool that is now included on Vista. Robocopy is GREAT for copying files and folders, and may work better for you than trying to use WET at this point.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Re: transfer data from old pc

Thank you for the reply John. I will just stick to the copying and paste of my docs and pics. For most additional programs I had the cd's and most could be up dated to work in Windows Vista premium.
c'est la guerre