Operating System - Linux
1751911 Members
5016 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ucd-snmp, net-snmp, and PSP7

ucd-snmp, net-snmp, and PSP7

I am using RHEL3 and install the RH-supplied net-snmp* packages. But when I install the Proliant Support Pack, it installs ucd-snmp, so now when I perform an up2date, it complains about having both ucd-snmp and net-snmp installed. Red Hat Support tells me that I shouldn't have ucd-snmp installed, so why is the PSP installing it? Will I lose any functionality by removing ucd-snmp?

Thanks.

Karl
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Karl,
when I had put some management agents on an earlier version of Red Hat Linux I had to install the ucd-snmp, because it provided some extensions that were not in the Red Hat supplied version of snmp.
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor

Check the readme's on the PSP.
HP indeed says that the ucd snmp agent is the preferred snmp agent. A good question is: is this because of older Linux versions? Is this still needed for RHEL 2.1 or even 3.0? I don't know, sorry.

JP.
Roberto Polli
Trusted Contributor

Hi!
I actually run net-snmp+hpasm without problems.

For using the feature included into the PSP you don't have necessarily to use the ucd-snmp.
It suffices to have a net-snmp version which supports the dlmod directive in snmpd.conf;

If snmpd don't give errors when a string like
"dlmod cmaX /usr/lib/libcmaX.so"
is included in /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf (check it from log files, they know a lot of things ;-)) it should work.

To support that directive snmp must be compiled with a particular flag, because not all the rpms of dhcp distributed from RH support this feature.

So you can try net-snmp. If the one you have won't work try to compile from srpms: it is easy.

A little question for you: are you sure that installing with rpm the ucd-snmp you didn't overwrite the net-snmp files?

Peace,
R.