1753952 Members
7939 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

unable to login

Liz_9
Occasional Advisor

unable to login

I have a B180 with hpux 11i installed in trusted mode. At the CDE when i try to login at the console I get the message "login incorrect, please try again". The password is correct. If i select option and do a command line login it accepts the password gives a # prompt then exits back out to the CDE login window. I am able to halt the boot process and login in single user mode. I can change the root password and the passwd program firsts asks for the present password which proves I am entering the right one. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Liz.
5 REPLIES 5
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Re: unable to login

Do yo manage users via NIS?
I'd look into that one.

Maybe you B180 is just going to the wrong NIS server? If yes, and maybe you would disable NIS client startup while in single user mode and then check again.

Just my 0.02$

Regards
Bernhard
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
if the problem is with the root account,
check:

- /etc/securetty
if present and with the word "console" in it, you are only allowed to login as root using the console

- if there are security settings (through SAM) that prevent your login from some terminal or in some hours

HTH,
Massimo
Liz_9
Occasional Advisor

The workstation is standalone and not configured for NIS.

As a standalone workstation it is the console I am trying to login into. I think this means /etc/scurity is irrelevant but will take system to sinngle user mode and check.

I believe the system is in trusted mode !!!

I have now found that sincee it let me login at the command line that the option to login from the command line has been disabled in CDE login window.

thanks
Liz.

I will assign points later for everyone.
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

Check and if needed post

/var/dt/Xerrors
$HOME/.dt/startlog

Output of /usr/contrib/bin/X11/dr_dt

Steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Liz_9
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Steve you pointed me in the right direction and this is how i resolved the problem:

booted system in single user mode

typed .dtprofile at /

this told me to remove a line disabling login from the .dtprofile itself which i did.

reboot

and it has let me login.

thanks everyone :-)

Liz