108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

unix account oracle failing to fork

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Amick
Occasional Advisor

unix account oracle failing to fork

The scenero is a single instance (8.1.7.2 64-bit) running on an HP cluster (11.0 64-bit). All connections to this DB are bequethed requiring Oracle shadow processes for each connection. MTS is not an option. The current value for maxuprc is 200, maxusers 512, nproc 4116 (derived). Is there any way to increase the number of processes for ONLY the oracle account?
7 REPLIES 7
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: unix account oracle failing to fork

Richard,

What is the max_thread per process set to?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Ross Martin
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Kernel parameters are global in nature -- they cannot be specified for a particular application without impacting the rest of the Operating System.

Fork failures are usually a result of nproc and/or maxuprc being set too low.

Ross
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Richard,

I don't think there is any way to increase the number of processes for only one user account. Suggest you increase the value of maxuprc and try. If possible double the value of this kernel parameter, rebuild the kernel and reboot. Also search the forum solutions for suggestion posted by forum members on how to best tune the kernel for oracle.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Richard Amick
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your reply.

max_thread_proc is set to 64.

I would think this wouldn't matter in the above scenerio, though; a connection is made through the oracle listener, the listener gives the client a process/port number of a shadow process and the client uses that process to get it's work done.

Therefore, there should be max 2 threads per process, unless I am missing something.
Richard Amick
Occasional Advisor

I am looking for a way to do this without rebooting. If there is none, I will have to schedule downtime; probably at a VERY inconvient time (Easter at some obscene time
:( ).
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Richard,

Only the maxuprc can tune procs/user but will apply to ALL users. Suggest you tune the global maxuser instead.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Richard,

The change of kernel parameter is not possible without a reboot. When you change a kernel parameter, rebuild the kernel, you have to reboot the system for the changed kernel to take effect. Schedule a reboot, change the kernel parameter "maxuprc" , rebuild the kernel and reboot the system.

Hope this helps.

Regds